Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

BARS Installation

Hi I hoping I can get some clairification. I'm about to install BARS4.0(10)We have 2 Callmanagers a publisher and subscriber. I intend to have the publisher identified as the Backup Server, but I'm a little confused about the Backup Target. Should I ID my subscriber as the Backup Target?? Thanks in advance for your help.

2 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: BARS Installation

If you can, avoid using your sub as the backup target. Ideally the target could be a tape drive or a network drive backed up to a SAN, something off the CCM cluster. Best practices for DR/BC would suggest this.

If the sub is all you have for a backup location, pull the file to another machine over the network after the BARS job has finished.

Hall of Fame Super Red

Re: BARS Installation

Hi James,

You can identify the Sub as a backup target but its not a must unless you have different files in the TFTP folder that are not in the Pub database. The Backup Target designation is usually for CRA,CER Servers etc. Have a look;

Note The Cisco CallManager publisher database contains all the information that you configure with Cisco CallManager Administration, and the database updates each time that you make a change. Cisco strongly recommends that you make a backup of the Cisco CallManager database, configuration, and directory information by using BARS every time that you make changes in Cisco CallManager Administration. Each Cisco CallManager cluster contains only one publisher database.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Related Definitions

In addition to backup server, two other related terms are used throughout this manual:

Backup target - A server (not the backup server) that contains data to get backed up when a BARS backup is invoked. During BARS installation, you designate a server as either a backup server or backup target.

Data source server - A server that you configure in the BARS user interface that contains data to get backed up. This includes all backup targets and can also include the backup server itself.

Additional Information

**For subscriber databases that are configured for backup, BARS backs up only TFTP files and CDR/CMR files.**

A backup target contains the data to be backed up for Cisco CallManager, CAR, CRS, or CER. You designate a server as a backup target during BARS installation if this server contains data to be backed up and is not the backup server. Backup targets must be configured as data source servers during BARS configuration.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00805e6496.html#wp46492

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.....

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content