Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic VOIP hardware for a 2600

alitster
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm in the process of setting up a very simple VOIP demo at work. We've got a IP phone that does H.232 and we'd like to get it to talk to our PBX. What cards and what IOS level/feature set would we need to have for a 2600 to be able to get things up and running.

Would this one be up to the job?

cisco 2621 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x101) with 26624K/6144K bytes of memory

IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-IS-M), Version 12.0(5)T1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

3 Replies 3

jvanick
Level 1
Level 1

the router should be fine...

you'll probably want to get a NM-1V or NM-2V (1 or 2 VIC slots) and a VIC-2FXO port to back-end into a PBX station port.

it'll require a bit of config on the router, but you should be able to find that on CCO... or drop me an email and I can see if I can dig up some sample configs.

Erick Bergquist
Level 6
Level 6

You'll need the right feature set . You'll need to do keyswitch (ITS I believe) to get the IP phone to talk with the router without a call manager. Then as the other fellow said you'll need either FXO or FXS cards at a minimum to connect to PBX. I've seen people connect to PBX with FXO, FXS or have both FXO and FXS depending on what they were doing. Make sure PBX has ports to connect to router module and they are right types.

See following URL for more on ITS (I haven't done this before):

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122newft/122t/122t13/its202/itsbasic.htm

if you want to do really basic h323 calls, you don't need ITS... just IP Plus...

if you hook up a phone to a FXS port, you need to dial digits that exist in a dial peer...

if you use a h323 client like netmeeting, you can specify the IP address of the router as the h323 gateway and use the digits you configured for a dial peer as the destination phone number.

I've done this a number of times for "quick" demos... it's probably not something you'd every want to leave in production for very long (especially the netmeeting part), but it is possible.

-J