cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

beep volume

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I have had several complaints that users are failing to hear the beep indicating the beginning of a recording session for a voice message. The volume of the system is sufficiant overall and should not be increased. Is there a way to increase "beep" volume individually.<br><br>

1 Reply 1

Not applicable

Interesting question… I haven’t heard anyone asking to crank the beep volume up. Are you sure it’s playing properly and it’s just too soft? Unusual…

Anyway, yeah you can do this in the registry.

In HKLM\Software\Active Voice\MIU\1.0\Initlaiziation\

You’ll see a key called “Record Beep Amp” and it’ll be set to a really big looking number. In reality, that’s a signed number and it’s actually a small negative number. The idea was, ironically, the beep was too loud for most folks so our default configuration kicks it down a notch or two. The default setting is –24, but that translates into “ffffffe8” in this setting since it’s a signed value in hex… trust me.

You can set the value to 0 to get the “full on” volume for this… if that’s too loud you can fiddle with it between the –24 and 0 level until you get it right. For negative numbers, pop open the calculator on NT, switch to scientific mode, make sure you’re in “decimal” mode, stick your negative number in there and switch to “hex” mode. Plug that value in to the registry.

This does require a reboot before it takes effect.

As a side note, you’ll see options for the beep length and frequency as well, but I wouldn’t mess with those. While the voice board is playing the beep itself it’s “blind” to incoming tones. If you make it too long a disconnect tone, for instance, may be missed. The length of the beep now is short enough to ensure that wont happen.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://members.home.net/jlindborg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: