cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

beginner question

mcmillan_jared
Level 1
Level 1

i'm looking on some information to start upgrading to voip phones. i'll have about 10 phones to begin with, all at one location but distributed is in the near future. i have a 2821 router that the company had baught before i came on. what other things do i need to be looking at and what version software do i need? does the software scale with size or do i just get the latest? anything will help even pointing me in the right direction for some reading material. all is welcome.

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

A 2821 is great to control up to 72 IP phones.

Beside the cisco IP phones, you need interface to PST, I strongly recommend you use ISDN BRI or PRI. The on the router you need IOS "IP Voice" feature set, and the DSP modules if not present already. I would also recommend you get a PoE capable switch to eliminate need for power adapters thja are a nuisance.

That is enough to begin configuration of "communications manager express" that is a full-featured IP based PBX, your users will like it very much.

When in doubt, ask here.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Thanks for the nice rating (despite all my misspellings) and good luck!

well you did answer all my questions and give me the help i asked for.

ok i've taken a look at what i have on hand and it looks like i'm going to need the dsp modules. i've been looking on the web page and not sure what you mean by "dsp modules" can i get an example or the one that i'll need. thanks

That is DSP hardware, part number PVDM2-X where X is same or bigger of the number of voice channels to PSTN that you need. Available sizes are 8, 16, 32 and 64.

So for example you connect to PSTN with 2 x ISDN BRI interfaces, plus you have a two ports FXS for fax and a cordless, that makes 6 channels (4 + 2), so you are OK buying PVDM-8. Whereas if you was to use a full T1 for voice, you would need a PVDM2-8 plus a PVDM2-16, or simply a PVDM2-32.

Dont you need the CCME Feature license as well? i mean it wont affect functionality but it still has to be purchased..correct?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: