Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Benefits of 4.x over 3.x

We are planning an upgrade from 2.4 to 3.x. Should I skip 3.x and go to 4.0? Is it just additional features, or is it much more stable? Thanks!

David Williams

4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Benefits of 4.x over 3.x

You can check out the release notes for 4.0(1) here:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/relnote/cu401rn.htm

they list all the new functionality and a lot of the bugs fixed. If you're more of a popcorn and movie kinda person you can check out the training videos for 4.0(1) here:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/App_Unity401TOI.htm

There was a big push to fix a lot of the outstanding bugs in the 4.0(1) product and we closed over 30% of the outstanding bugs that were hanging out in DDTS as part of the project. However as you can see there were a lot of pretty major new features added as well (most notably Dominio support). Short story is 3.1(5) is a pretty stable release and if the new features in 4.0(1) are not important to you, personally I'd roll with 3.1(5). We are continuing to sell 3.1 for some time, a 3.1(6) release is already planned so you aren't going to be abandon on the 3.1 code line.

As a side note, the upgrade from 3.x to 4.x is much, much easier than the upgrade you're going through for 2.x to 3.x... since the back end changed entirely between 2.x and 3.x we had to do a "forklift" upgrade with the export and import tools - something that's not necessary upgrading from 3.x to later versions. If you want to make the jump to 4.x later it will be much more straight forward.

Gold

Something which is not noted in the release notes is that Unity will start if its partner Exchange server is down. In 3.X it will not without manual changes to the registry.

To echo Jeff's comments; if you don't require a new feature hold off on upgrading.

Keith

The only feature I am really intersted in is the Flex stack where I can choose to listen to my newest e-mails first if I want rather then FIFO. Will this be in 3.1.6?

Gold

No it will not. Features typically don't go into maintenance code unless they address product instabilities.

Keith

Views
Helpful
Replies