Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

BRI Ordering for voice help

Hoping someone can help me out on a slightly off topic question.

Trying to order a BRI circuit (for backup voice) from Verizon with additional directory numbers (telephone numbers) on the line. The circuit comes with 2 SPIDs but I understand it is possible to add additional numbers to the circuit.

In Europe it would be "multiple subscriber number /MSN". In the US, I am using the term "Secondary/additional directory number" but the telco is saying they have never heard of such a thing.

I was wondering if anyone has the correct term or possibly ordering code I could have the telco reference for this.

Many thanks for any assistance!

• Other Collaboration Voice and Video Subjects
5 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Red

Re: BRI Ordering for voice help

Hi Andrew,

This question caught my eye as I have been working with ISDN/BRI for many years. Have a look at the following doc that has both European and North American standards listed with good explanations;

http://www.telos-systems.com/techtalk/two_isdn_order.pdf#search=%22north%20american%20BRI%20circuit%22

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts....

"May your heart always be joyful And may your song always be sung May you stay forever young " - Dylan

Rob, thanks for the super fast response.

Have you had success with ordering BRI with multiple DNs? Hard to find anyone at Verizon that understands this technology...

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Andrew,

First off, you are most welcome. I'm not sure I am following you on this one. BRI's come with only 2 DN's even in Europe. Have another look at the description of MSN (Multiple Subscriber Numbers) on the link I sent previously.When you order a BRI it should come with 2 directory numbers and can also be linked together with other BRI's (2 DN's per) to form a Hunt group if needed. Please let me know if I am way off base here.

Thanks

Rob

"May your heart always be joyful And may your song always be sung May you stay forever young " - Dylan

In Europe, each circuit should be able to handle an additional 8 MSN's.

Here is some information I found regarding the US (courtesy of SBC)

Secondary Directory Number

Customer may subscribe to any quantity of Secondary Directory Numbers (as many as CPE will allow).

The first appearance of a unique directory number on an CPE that already has a primary number assigned. Sometimes called a "virtual directory number" because it shares the channel with other numbers, but has some attributes of the primary number. May have multiple and shared appearances. Allowed independently assigned features.

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Andrew,

Well there you go,you do learn something new everyday! Maybe you need to send this info to Verizon.I am curious about the virtual aspect of these SDN numbers though, because they piggyback on the same 2 B-Channels how does that work with the back up voice implementation? I can see how this might help for Incoming call services but not Outgoing. Now I'm asking the questions.Anyways, thanks for the interesting information.

As I said before "I guess I was way off base"

Take care!

Rob

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.