cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BT physical interfaces

garland
Level 1
Level 1

I am proposing to connect a Cat 6608 (8 port E1) card to British Telecom PSTN via ISDN30e.

BT tell me the interface is an RJ45, the 6608 card has an RJ48 - is a special cable needed? is BT wrong and they really supply ISDN30e on RJ48s? Should I be ordering a different service from BT? or I am missing something blindingly obvious??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paul.harrison
Level 4
Level 4

Yep, one piece of blindingly obvious coming up.

RJ45 and RJ48 are as close to being the same thing without actually being the same thing as you can get. There is some physical characterisitic of the interface which was supposed to prevent RJ45 cables from being used, however it is NEVER (EVER (no really I mean NEVER EVER)) implemented so patch chords are fine.

Paul

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

paul.harrison
Level 4
Level 4

Yep, one piece of blindingly obvious coming up.

RJ45 and RJ48 are as close to being the same thing without actually being the same thing as you can get. There is some physical characterisitic of the interface which was supposed to prevent RJ45 cables from being used, however it is NEVER (EVER (no really I mean NEVER EVER)) implemented so patch chords are fine.

Paul

Yes agreed. All you need is a CAT5 RJ45 cable.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: