Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Building Applications to interconnect with Cisco devices.

I put this conversation here as there is no other spot to put it.

Currently I want to build a C# application that has to find the CDP info of an IP telephone set. The CDP is a protocol specific to Cisco and is not implemented in the current languages. Has someone an idea how I can easily implement in C# the CDP protocol in order to get the CDP info of the set as well as a method to send the CDP query to the IP phone ?

The CDP protocol is not implemented in C# and I don't want to use tools like ethereal to get the CDP info.

I also want to know if there are some external functions available to be used for CDP in any programming language anyway ?

Thanks!

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: Building Applications to interconnect with Cisco devices.

CDP is sent as a layer 2 multicast sent to the address 01:00:0c:cc:cc:cc

For more details refer here -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_tech_note09186a0080094713.shtml#cdp

Wikipedia has some reasonable detail as well -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisco_Discovery_Protocol

There are no queries sent out by any devices - each device (such as the phone) just advertises it's details at periodical intervals and relies on the router or switch to build up a database of entries, which can then be examined by the "SHOW CDP NEIGHBOR DETAIL"

If all you want to do is send out a CDP packet, technically you could just send a crafted hex file that is the representation of the CDP details direct to the NIC of a PC.

If you want to determine details about phones on the network you would need to listen for all traffic on the 01:00:0c:cc:cc:cc multicast MAC address then simply build up a table of entries for additional processing. I'm not in any way an expert in network programming but I think you could find some guides that show you how to do this.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content