Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Building Unity 2.46 in Existing Exchange Site

If you are Building Unity 2.46 in Existing Exchange Site , do you need to have access to the existing Exchange site to build the Unity? I am trying to build the Unity in a lab first, tryi g to avoid being on site. thanks<br><br>

1 REPLY
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Building Unity 2.46 in Existing Exchange Site

That’d be nice but no… there’s no way to preinstall Unity in your lab and then drop it into a customer’s site. We asked Microsoft for help (ok, we begged) on this issue with the first versions of Unity that shipped but the short story is Exchange prevents this from happening.

When you install Exchange it, of course, needs a domain controller somewhere. When it finds it, it uses a GUID from that DC to pepper “security IDs” all over during it’s configuration process. If you try to move that Exchange 5.5 server into another domain (even if it’s named the same thing) it’ll get real unhappy when it comes up since it knows someone pulled a fast one on it and it wont come up. There’s no snappy way to run through and update all these IDs either (I looked long and hard for something like SID-Roller for Exchange… there is nothing). As such a reinstall of Exchange is necessary. Microsoft characterizes this as a “security feature”. I have my own opinion on the matter that I’ll keep to myself.

Unity 3.0 handles this a little better in that we let you install Unity up to the point where we connect to the Exchange 5.5/2000 server… that way you can at least get everything on there and cart the box out, stuff it into the domain and then run part 2 setup to connect to the customer’s Exchange server (or you can install Exchange on our box at that point). Not as slick as having everything prepped and dropping it in there when you get on site, but better than having to rebuild from scratch.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Views
Helpful
Replies