cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bulk Import CSV Stepped on AD

brent.morris
Level 1
Level 1

The Bulk Import Exchange utility stepped on Active Directory. Let me explain.

I was given a Excel spreadsheet with which I then changed into a CSV file with the appropriate fields. I ran this CSV file against AD and associated them with accounts in AD/Exchange. The issue was that when it ran against the AD, it took the first name, last name and overwrote them in AD. It also then took the Default Subscriber Template and change the Display Name to match as it was set in AD. I had it set incorrectly to "Last Name, First Name" rather than "First Last" I also was given some names which were misspelled in the Excel spreadsheet and the misspellings ended up in AD. Needless to say, this screwed up the GAL and caused some upset users.

My question is, why does the Bulk Import Utility overwrite these fields in AD when associating accounts with subsribers, while Importing from the SA does not? Also, is there a good technical document that explains what exactly the Bulk Import utility does? I owe my customer an explanation on the finer details of the Bulk Import util.

Thanks in advance.

Brent

5 Replies 5

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is a known bug: CSCec39114

There's an ES patch off of 4.0(3) for this (ES 31) that you can get through TAC to fix this.

The defect info for the display name issue is http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCec39114

Hello - I have a follow-up question. I will be upgrading my Unity bridge server to 3.0(2) tomorrow following my Unity server upgrade to 4.0(3). As part of that upgrade, I need to add the "Legacy_Mailbox" field of my Unity serial number (known to Octel) for all of my subscribers. I plan to use Subscriber Information Dump and import that using the option to "Modify existing subscribers". Our AD display name is coded Lname. Fname (PWA). We do not create AD users, only import from AD. Do you see this bug affecting me and should I request the fix from TAC before encountering a problem?

Thanks in advance,

Ginger

I'd definitely get this fix - it could stomp on the display names even though you have it setup to only import users if you don't...

Cool - thanks very much and I will proceed with logging a TAC case for the fix.

Have a great weekend!

Ginger

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: