Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

bulk import of internet subscribers

I have a customer with requirements for both voicemail only and unified messaging servers. Since it appears that there is no easy way to use Unity digital networking in their environment, the solution of forwarding messages between systems seems to be to build the UM server's users as Internet subscribers on the VM server and vice versa. This involves several hundred users being built as Internet subscribers. Is there any bulk import utility for Internet subscribers on the horizon?

4 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: bulk import of internet subscribers

You can create new Internet subscribers in bulk in 4.0 using the Cisco Unity

Bulk Import wizard, and in 3.x, you can use the Unity Import utility. But you still would have to record the voice names and greetings one by one using the SA.

And if you need to make changes to settings after creating the Internet

subscriber, that too has to be done one-by-one in the SA. The handy bulk edit

utility doesn't work for Internet subscribers.

There's no tool on the horizon (that I'm aware of at least) that allows you to

import regular subscribers from one Unity system as Internet subscribers on

another system. And there's no tool on the horizon (again, that I know about)

that will allow you to import voice names and greetings from the regular

subscribers on one Unity system to be used by the corresponding Internet

subscribers on another system.

So does the customer require that the voicemail and UM servers be in

separate AD forests (or for Ex 5.5, separate organizations)? You can have a

voicemail only Unity and a unified messaging Unity in the same AD forest.

Cisco Employee

Actually... I have a beta of a tool that's been kicking around for a while that is designed to do just this... run the Subscriber Information Dump (including voice names) and using the output you can use this special import tool to slurp them in as internet subscribers on the target Unity server.

It's a little complex to use (multiple steps involved which always makes me nervous) but it has been QA tested along the way - I haven't posted it for general consumption since it's not as easy as falling off a chair to use - however if you're interested in giving it a roll, ping me at lindborg@cisco.com and I can send it your way to have a look. If enough folks have a demand for this maybe I can spend some cycles putting some safety railing on it and post it on CiscoUnityTools.com...

Customer currently has NT4 w/Ex5.5. My original proposal was to be using the same Exchange 5.5 Org but different sites. I was concerned about the implications down the road if/when the customer wants to go AD/Ex2K and I did not realize that a VM Unity could coexist with a UM Unity in the same AD forest. I would have thought that there would be licensing issues with Exchange. If there are no insurmountable issues with future AD/Ex2K migrations then I will recommend that the Unity servers are built in the same 5.5 organization now. That will make life much simpler.

Cisco Employee

No licensing issues with VM and UM both in the same Exchange org so long as the VM only users are only accessing voice mail and fax messages over the phone interface or the seperately licensed VMI web interface - no desktop access to messages or emails over the phone and the like... that's what the long, tortured license agreement for the VM only stuff with Microsoft is about (Lawyers gone wild).

Views
Helpful
Replies