cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BulkEdit for Alternate Extensions

ghartline
Level 1
Level 1

Any chance the super-cool bulkedit utility will be extended to allow the addition/modification of subscriber alternate extensions?

Thanks in advance.

Grant

3 Replies 3

Christopher McAlpin
Community Manager
Community Manager

I will let the monkey reply as to the future of Bulk Edit, however he does have a tool to add alternate extensions to subscribers via a csv file.

http://www.answermonkey.net/App_AddAlternateExtensions.htm

Yeah, you can add alternate extensions using that tool, however be aware it's not very bright. It'll let you keep adding new extensions and can't be smart about "replacing" an extension (it'll make sure the ID is unique, of course).

Editing standing alternate extension is really tough for one very important reason: They are stored in a "blob" and are not assigned specific "slots" for each of the 10 alternate extensions. As such you can't decide to update the alternate extension #7 for everyone to include a new prefix or something. Some users may have no alternate extensions, others may have 4 or 5. It'd be impossible for me to know WHICH alternate extension you wanted to update on a particular user.

Annoying, I know... in Kubrick (the follow on to the 4.0 Coppola release later this year) the DOH and SA guys have promised me slots such that folks can designate alternate extensions in specific spots much like Exchange has the numbered custom attributes you can use. Once this is there I'll be able to add editing capabilities for them...

Thanks for the replies. I don't really have an immediate need to modify alternate extensions, which is good. I do have about 700 subscribers across 8 or 9 Unity servers for whom I need to add an alternate extension that is the full 10 digit DN for the subscriber. Any hints on the best way to do this?

Thanks again.