Helpful
Replies

Call Forwarding between extensions

msolak
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All,

I have the following Scenario:

A call for the DN 3320. However the 3320 has a CallForwarding to DN 3321. If the 3321 does not answer the call, the call goes on the Unity mailbox of the 3320. I would like however that the mailbox of the 3321 answer the call.

How can I implement that?

Regards

mehmet

8 Replies 8

jschless
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is actually expected behavior.

If 3320 is set to call forward to 3321, and 3321 does not pick up, but is set to forward to voicemail(Unity), the call will revert to the *original* called party's voicemail. This info cannot be altered (orginal called party), so the call will only see the original party number. When the call is forwarded to Unity, it will only know of the original called party and forward to that voicemai profile. There is no workaround.

What is you objective of this setup? You might want to share these 2 extensions to the same voicemail (use alternate extension in Unity). If you give me more details, I might be able to help you.

Jeff Schlesser

I have a similar problem. All incoming calls ring to DN 1001. On a no answer it forwards to a route point that forwards to unity as DN 8010. I was hoping it would play the greeting for DN 8010, but it plays 1001 (as the originating called party).

My goal is three fold. I want DN 1001 to recieve the incoming calls (operator v. auto-attendant). On no answer, I want the unity system to pick up and play the opening greeting. One of the options of the opening greeting is to take a message, although there are many others. This option transfers to the greeting for a voicemail box (1001) that gets the message. The only reason it belongs to 1001 is to light the message waiting indicator when a message gets left on the operator's phone. I want to light the operator's phone light when she gets a message, I want her to get the opportunity to answer the initial inbound call, and when she misses it I want the opening greeting to play.

Thanks,

Duane Brennan

one work around for this is to add a routing rule at the top of the forwarding list that says if the call is forwarded from 1001 to send the call to the opening greeting. The call processing would then not get the to "attempt forward to greeting" rule which looks up 1001 in the database, finds the subscriber with that ID and sends the call there...

This works so long as you don't want other scenarios where folks call the operator's 1001 line directly and forwards to their voice mail... which is presumably not the case here.

Can you please elaborate on that work around. To clarify, are you saying to put a new routing rule in Unity? I just wanted some clarification.

Thanks,

Duane

sure.

by default Unity has a set of rules that are used for processing inbound call for that are forwarded in (as opposed to direct calls which are handled by a different set of rules). You can see the current set of rule in the "routing rules" page in the SA.

If you click on the "forwarded calls" link you'll see (by default) 2 rules. The first is "Attempt Forward to greeting" and next is "Default call handler" . The attempt forward to greeting rule takes the forwarding number and tries to find that object in the directory - in your case it's finding 1001 as a subscriber and sending the call right to that subscriber's greeting.

You can insert a 3rd rule at the top of the list that has a "forwarding station" value of 1001, a call type of "both", a schedule of "always" (I assume) and a Send Call to setting of "Call Handler" and select the opening greeting call handler.

since this rule is at the top, it gets processed first... all calls that come into Unity that have forwarded from 1001 will get the opening greeting. If it's not from 1001 it proceeds to process the "attempt forward to greeting" rule as normal and if no match is found for the forwarding ID in the database the call falls through to the opening greeting as well...

In response to the first thread, if you need the messages to be left in the second DN voice mail , just change the Call manager "directory number setting->Voice message box" of the first phone to point to the voice mail box of the second phone. In this scenario, when someone calls the first number and no one picks it up, it gets forwarded to the second phone and leaves a voice mail in the second phones mailbox.

Hope this helps....

It does help tremendously - but I think it's gone in 3.2 :-( :-( :-( - unless it's coming back or has already come back (the extent to which we in fact use this method is one of the things making our transition to 3.2 off of 3.1 take longer :-/

Although I haven't checked the newer versions - someone let me know if my info is old here...

- Ken

i refer to Jeff's post on Aug-01

i have a similar situation with Mehmet, which if i take his example,

the scenario is below:

- DN 3320 is the vice-president extension

- DN 3321 is the secretary extension

- all calls to 3320, should be forwarded to 3321; secretary will screen

all calls

- if the secretary fails to pick-up the call, the caller should leave

messages to the secretary (DN 3321) vmail!

- the vice-president will never see MWI on his phone!

for the case above, i've modified routing rules instead of call

handlers. but for "some reason", the additional routing

rules corrupted the unity, which lead me to another problem. (see thread "routing rules table corrupting")

appreciate your advise on this case.

thank you.

.nurmawan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: