cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Call Forwarding from Unity 3.0

a.vijayasekar
Level 1
Level 1

When we try to forward calls using the Unity setup options,it does not work.

Unity says that it has been forwarded to the required extension.But when someone calls in,it still rings on the original phone and not on the transferred destination.Call forwarding works fine when we do it on the Callmanager or from the IP phone itself.Any thoughts?Unity version is 3.0(2).

Thanks

Anupama

6 Replies 6

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

I'm not totally sure what you’re talking about here... Are you talking about the Call Transfer setting on the call handlers?

If so, make sure you have the correct settings in the 'Transfer Rule applies to:' section. If you always want it to function the same regardless of the schedule enable the Alternate greeting and make the changes there. The Alternate greeting will always override the Standard and Closed greetings.

Keith

Unity doesn't do any forwarding, it only transfers. To control where a phone will forward upon calling that phone in a busy, all or no-answer situation (what sounds like is happening), that's configured from either CallManager, or the phone (for call forward all).

The Unity settings mentioned control where Unity will transfer a call if a caller has hit the Unity server, and dialed a particular extension; where does Unity transfer the call if that extension is dialed.

Yes.I was referring to Call Transfers only.Once the transfer is done via Unity,

the transferred destination should actually ring when the original number is

called.But it still rings on the original phone.

Thanks

Anupama

Can you expand on this a bit. I'm totally lost now.

Ok.In the setup options of Unity,when we press 4 that gives us an option for Call transfers,we enter a number that we need the call to be transferred to,when I do that,I get Unity's confirmation that the change has been made but when a call comes in,it still rings on the old extension instead of the extension I need the call to be transferred because I have set it up that way.

I hope I make sense this time :))

Thanks

Anupama

I think I get it now. So when you are navigating through the Unity setup for your account over the phone, you press 4 and change the transfer destination?

What that setting is for is when some caller is inside Unity and dials the ID of your voicemail box. Whatever this number is set to is where Unity will transfer that caller to when they dial the ID of your voice mail box. This setting is not for where calls will go when some one dials your phone directly.

Technically speaking there is a difference between transfers and forwards. An example of a transfer would be:

PhoneA calls PhoneB.

PhoneB answers the call and wants to send PhoneA to PhoneC.

PhoneB transfers the call to PhoneC.

In this example, Unity would be PhoneB and the setting I think you are referring to is where PhoneB will transfer.

An example of forwarding would be:

PhoneA calls PhoneB.

PhoneB does not answer the call (or it's busy).

PhoneB forwards to PhoneC.

In this example, Unity is not in control of where PhoneB forwards, as this is controlled by CallManager.

I can see how the Unity setup prompts sound like you are setting forwarding options, but you aren't; you are setting transfer options.

Does this make sense, or have I confused the matter more : )