cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Call Handler problem or better way?

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I have set up a call handler for forwarding to a receptionist. According to the docs and the way I believe I have it configured, it should ring a particular extension; if there is no response, then it is supposed to prompt the person to continue holding or leave a message. In practice, though, whenever the call handler is accessed, it immediately goes to "leave a message". In my tests, this appears to happen even when the extension listed in the call handler is not in use.<br><br>Call handler may not be the correct way to accomplish our goal, which is: When a caller goes to voice mail for a subscriber, they need to press a key to leave a message. Otherwise, we require the call to be transferred to a receptionist/operator. In our organization, each department will have their own receptionist/operator. It does work to just send it to a particular subscriber, but that way is not desirable for the following reasons:<br>1) Operator may not be tied to a particular person/mailbox.<br>2) Don't want to have to modify all mailboxes in a department when their receptionist/operator changes. (The call handler is more generic, with just an extension.)<br>3) Need Unity to supervise the call, so the caller isn't left in limbo if receptionist cannot answer in a timely fashion.<br><br>

10 Replies 10

Not applicable

For the CallHandler, check to see how the "Alternate" transfer rule is set up. You'll probably need to either change it or disable it.

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

Not applicable

Thanks for the response. I disabled all transfer rules except for Standard, which is configured thusly:
Transfer incoming calls? Yes, ring a subscriber at this extension: 4 digit local extension showing
Transfer type: Supervise Transfer
Rings to wait for: 3
If the call is busy Ask Caller
Gather caller information: only Announce is checked

I am still getting the same result. For further information, my subscriber record is set to "attempt transfer to call handler x".

Not applicable

So how do callers get to this Call Handler that transfers to the receptionist? Do they dial a DTMF id of the CallHandler, or are they sent there from another subscriber? If you dial the DTMF id of the CallHandler directly, (just throw one in there if there isn't one) does it transfer? Do you have dual-switch integration by any chance?

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

Not applicable

The call handler is reached by way of a subscriber. The subscriber has the following setting on the Greetings page:
After greeting: Send Caller to [Call Handler]; Attempt transfer for NameOfCallHandler.

I am assuming when you speak of the DTMF ID that we are talking about the value in the Extension field on the Profile page of the call handler. I tried putting an unused extension in there, but my phone declines to call it (fast busy).

Also, I am not familiar with the term "dual-switch integration", but I don't believe we have that. We have a single Unity server, 2 Call Managers, and only one card on one switch for PRIs.

Not applicable

"I am assuming when you speak of the DTMF ID that we are talking about the value in the Extension field on the Profile page of the call handler."

You got it, but don't call that number directly. First call into Unity (if you are prompted for a password, hit "#"), then dial the Call Handler's extension number.

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

Not applicable

Dialing that extension through Unity resulted in the call getting connected (after some hold music), which is the desired behavior.

Not applicable

Good deal, sounds like the CallHandler is set up fine. You might have already checked this, but from the subscriber's page, check to see if the alternate "action after greeting" is enabled and doing something different. It is the "action after greeting" that is getting the callers to the CallHandler, right?

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

Not applicable

The Action After Greeting is to Send Caller to [CallHandler]. The line under indicates "Send to greeting for CallHandlerName".

Again, our goal is to forward somebody to a live person and only leave a message upon taking deliberate action. I realize this is an unusual way of doing this sort of thing, but this has to do with the wishes of our board of commissioners (we are a county government).

Not applicable

"The line under indicates "Send to greeting for CallHandlerName"."

That's the problem. It needs to be "attempt transfer". Re-select the Call Handler, and under the "converation" selection, change it to "attempt transfer".

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

Not applicable

I had it that way previously and had only changed it to see if it made a difference. However, I changed it back and now it works. I don't know of anything that I have changed to explain that, but my problem is solved. Thanks for your help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: