cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Call Handler Transfer

cbuckingham
Level 1
Level 1

I have a call handler setup to go thru a menu system after 5 pm & on holidays.. under the "closed" rule<br>What I cannot get to work is the "standard" rule.<br>I am telling the system to transfer incoming calls directly to an extention.. I want to bypass the menu during the daytime hours... and hit a live operator.<br>It's not completing this task & tries to send the things to voicemail or to another greeting..<br><br>All help is appreciated!<br><br>Chris<br><br>

13 Replies 13

Not applicable

How do you have your one key rule setup here? The most common mistake I see here is folks set it up to transfer to another call handler but leave it at the "send to greeting for" default instead of changing to "attempt transfer for" option when selecting the destination for the one key rule.

if you leave it at "send to greeting for" it'll skip the transfer you have setup (presumably to go to the operator in this case) and go right to the greeting for that handler.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

I made sure that was ok..
What it is doing right now, is sending it to the Call Handlers Recorded Voice... then it will try to transfer..
I guess we may need to look at directing all calls to the operator phone, and she can CFwA to the Unity system at 5?

Sorta of like flipping the switch to "night mode".... it would be better if it was automatic..

I'm not sure I get what you're trying to do here... Can you lay out the call flow, step by step for me? Which handlers are you sending calls to, which one key rules are being used, etc...

I'm sure there's a way to do what you need to here, I just don't know what it is!

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

I'll do my best to explain this: They would like, during the business day, to have a receptionist answer the call..then at 5 pm. have Unity automatically take over w/ it's Auto Attendent feature...

For the "Opening Greeting" I have the "Standard Rule" set to transfer incoming calls to the receptionists extention.... I do not want to use any menu setup at all.

At 5pm & during Vacation time, I have the "closed" rule setup to use the menu system as required....and that works just fine! I can set Today, as a vacation day.. and I get the menu system properly..

What I would like to fix, is to have the "standard" rule just forward the call to the Receptionist...right now it goes into the "greeting" or tries to take a message for the Call Handlker.. I do not want any menu options during business hours..
I guess I need to know if that will even work?
Or should we train them to "flip the switch" and CallFwdAll to the Unity DN at 5?
Chris

If you want outside callers hitting Unity to be dumped right to the operator’s extension, you should be able to setup the standard transfer rule on the opening greeting to do a release transfer to the operator’s extension. Basically all calls that came into Unity that weren’t from subscribers (who would be logged in to check messages) or forwarding from subscribers phones (that would get sent to that subscriber’s greeting).

If that’s what you have configured and you end up hearing the greeting for the opening greeting, it sounds like the call is bouncing back to us (i.e. the operator’s extension is set to forward back to us RNA/Busy). You can verify that using StatusMonitor.exe (in the TechTools directory under Commserver) to see what port the call comes in on and that the transfer kicks the call out and then the call will be bounced back to us on another port or something along those lines. It should go to the greeting for the mail user or handler that corresponds to the operator’s extension… failing that it’ll fall through to the opening greeting but since it was a forwarded call the transfer wont be attempted again (so we don’t get stuck in a loop doing release transfers to a busy extension).

In most cases this type of function would be done at the switch level… kick the switch into “night mode” which routes all calls to voice mail ports or something along those lines. It’s pretty unusual to have all calls hitting Unity and having us bounce them right to an operator’s console.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

They way you mentioned this, is the way it is setup.
I used the monitor..
I dialed & the first thing I received was: "Sorry, Opening Greeting, is not availible, please wait while I transfer your call"

THEN It transfer's it to the operator...

Chris

that's just what you're hearing... I'll bet you dimes to dollars it's actually bouncing to another port. Status monitor.exe (not the web based thing, it's not nearly fast enough for this) should show which port you hit and which one it bounced to.

Also, try making sure you hit port #1 to rule out any "forwarded" vs. direct issues here...

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

I'll email you screen shot later...

Chris

I tried what you Emailed me last night, and the opening Greeting does not forward the call to the new CH...
All I get is "Sorry, Example Administrator is busy or does not answer" and wants to take a message...

???????

I'm going to open a TAC case on this.

Chris

You're probably wrestling with the wrong greeting/transfer rule. As a test you can kick it over to enable the alternate greeting.

either way, perhaps someone from TAC calling in and looking at your system will be a quicker way to get you from A to B here.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Well... I didn't finish the TAC case...
I was able to make things work for this particular party by using the Greetings...
I was able to change their minds on a couple of things..

I am very concerned to why the Call Transferring was not working....but I need to get on an Airplane... so I don't have time to troubleshoot it any longer..

Thanks for all your help.. & suggestions

Chris

I gave that a shot...
No Dice.
I have TAC case B496953 opened..
If you can give the TAC guys any input... please do so..

Chris

Sorry to butt in here but I've been going through similar problems with a similar setup and have worked out most of the bugs. Two things to check:

1) Check to make sure your subscribers can accept transfers otherwise it'll go right into voicemail making you think the rule isn't working.

2) Make sure your alternate greeting isn't turned on. There is a bug that turns it on and off intermittently. A rule of thumb, if you make a change to any rule check the status of the others especially the alternate.

My config is pretty simple. Hang up the call during the ave everything working except a after hours handler that transfers a call to a cell phone. I can transfer to any ip phone but not to the PSTN yet.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: