Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Call HandlersRoute Rule Relationships

I am searching for the cleanest solution to this scenario:<br><br>Equipment consists of Call Manager 3.09 and Unity 2.4.6<br>This site has approximately 100 phones (4 digit extensions) with DID numbers mapped to all phones. Each phone has a subscriber mailbox. If an outside caller dials a DID number during the day it will go to the subscriber greeting of the mailbox for that phone. The caller will then leave a message or zero out to the operator (There are no keystroke choices). After hours an external call dialing the same DID number will ring the phone that is mapped to that DID extension and them RNA/Busy to voicemail.<br><br>I understand that a Call Handler will be needed for each destination/phone. I understand the greetings and transfers (with info supplied in the Forum discussion on 5/26/01 from dwolf) . The piece of the puzzle I do not have is theory on how many route rules will be required. While I am comfortable with the rules I am trying to avoid having to create a rule for each destination. There must be an efficient process to accomplish this. Can you shed some light on this for me?<br><br>What I am hoping for is a type of scenario where one route rule can send a range of numbers (7xxx, or 7* for example to the corresponding 7XXX , or 7* Call Handlers. This will also help in non-typical call route scheduling such as holidays, disaster situations, etc <br><br><br>Summary note: If an external caller dials a DID number example, xxx-xxx-7123, based on TOD/DOW it will go to either the mailbox or the phone with the Call Handler being transparent to the caller<br><br>Thanks in advance<br><br><br>

5 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Call HandlersRoute Rule Relationships

Ok… I’ve read over this a few times and I’m not sure I quite understand what you’re trying to do here.

If a call forwards RNA/Busy from an extension, we’re going to automatically forward that call to the greeting of the subscriber that owns that extension number, over riding any transfer settings that user may have. We don’t want to get suck in a transfer loop… The only time we’ll actually attempt the transfer is if a call comes into the auto attendant and a user dials the ID of a handler/subscriber and that object has an active transfer rule configured. As such I’m confused why you need to do anything with routing rules here… Why do you need a call handler for each phone, why not just create a subscriber for each extension and be done with it? All the calls that forward into Unity RNA/Busy from these DID lines will end up at the greeting of the corresponding user, is that not what you want here?

Or is the forwarding number here not a 4 digit number you want to use? Maybe this is the piece I’m missing… If that’s the case, what comes across the call viewer when one of these calls bounces to Unity?

Creating more than 50 or 70 call routing rules is probably a bad idea… they’re not intended to act as a mapping file for a bunch of individual numbers and there’s no quick mask to modify the calling/called/forwarding number if that’s what you’re looking for. Unity 3.0 has two mechanisms for handling this: a mapping file (which I think you’re describing here) and support for up to 10 extensions for each user which could include a 10 digit ID and a 4 digit ID, both of while will trigger matches for forwarding and direct call lookups and the like.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Anonymous
N/A

I see where I confused you (sorry). Let me add a little more info. The application is very close to the application by dwolf that I referenced in my original message.

The primary scenario is that during the day, a teacher is not allowed to accept a direct external DID call. An external call during the day will route to the teachers mailbox. During non-school hours, a teacher can accept an external DID call. A teacher can accept an internal call at any time.

An example:
For this example we have Tiger Woods in a classroom with a phone supporting a primary DN of 7001. His DID number is 555-555-7001. If an external caller calls 555-555-7001 Call Manager sends the call to Unity and Unity sends it to the appropriate destination based on a schedule and Route Rule. During the day it goes directly to the subscriber box for Tiger(Subscriber mailbox 7001)without trying to call the phone. It never looks at the DN fowarding because unity sends it directly to the subscriber mailbox. As I understand it, this action is accompished by a call handler.

After school is over for the day, if an external caller calls 555-555-7001, it will now ring Tiger's phone (DN 7001). If Tiger is on the phone or is away, the call will now follow the DN RNA/Busy forwarding to voicemail and go to Tiger's subscriber mailbox. Tiger's mailbox will alway give the caller the option to leave a message or route to the operator.

Follow on scenario: An external caller (during the day) has dialed 555-555-7001 and in in Tiger's mailbox. This caller has zeroed out to the operator. The operator now has the option to transfer the caller to Tiger's phone if needed.

Also internal calls dialing 7001 will ring Tigers phone regardless of the TOD

I can not just send the call to the phone and follow the DN fowarding for two reasons.
(1) The phone is not to ring from an external call during the day(it is to go directly to voicemail). If we just follow the phone forwarding the teacher will have to be responsible for activating and deactivaing the fwd all on the phone. The Superintendant does not want this reponsibility to fall on the staff.
(2) If the phone is in fwd all, there is no way for the internal staff to call Tiger as there is currently no phone breakthrough option in Call Manager. They would have to rely on the paging system.

Note: The external caller (after dialing a DID number) should not have to negotiate a menu to reach the appropriate primary destination (mailbox or phone depending on TOD/DOW), That would negate the intent of a DID number.

Okay back to the question phase, what is the cleanest way to accomplish this? Would I need a route rule for each dn that this applies to? I agree that 50-70 route rules in not the best of ideas.

Thanks in advance and I apologize for the length of this post

Anonymous
N/A

So if some one calls 555-555-7001 during the day, they want the call directed to a personal greeting and if 555-555-7001 is called at other times, they want the call to be directed to a phone? Is that correct?

Unity cannot control where 555-555-7001 will ring, that is a function of the switch. Maybe I am just way off in left field here?

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

Anonymous
N/A

Your application assumption is corret:
Daytime 555-555-7001 goes to Subscriber Mailbox
Afterhours 555-555-7001 rings the phone.
I believe Jeff explained how to do this in May in a dialogue with dwolf. I have included his explanation below. While I understand what he is saying, the piece that I am missing is this:
If I do as Jeff has indicated, I think that I will need a 1:1 relationship between call handlers and Subscriber Mailboxes, but I will also need a 1:1 relationship between call handlers and route rules. Which would mean I would need a route rule for each subscriber. Is this true? Or maybe we have two left fielders today.

Note: The only difference in my app and what Jeff describes here is that the schedule I need is opposite of what he describes, no big issue.
Thanks

Fron Jeff to dwolf on 5/28/01:
If I understand your application correctly, this should be pretty straight forward to setup. You will need to use call handlers for this since subscribers have only one transfer rule which is always enabled or disabled… you have to use a call handler if you want optional transfers based on schedules.

I’m assuming each teacher will be a subscriber and that there is a 1 to 1 relationship between classrooms and teachers (i.e. you don’t have two or more teachers sharing a classroom or something).

For each classroom setup a call handler and assign it a schedule as appropriate to determine when it’s “open” or “closed”. You’ll be using the handlers' “standard” transfer for when it’s open and the “closed” transfer for when it’s closed. The standard transfer is always enabled, go ahead and enable the closed transfer as well (which is off by default).

The standard transfer rule should be setup to do a supervised transfer to the classroom extension number in question. The closed transfer rule should be enabled but set to “no, send directly to this handler’s greeting”.

Go ahead and enable the alternate greeting rule on the call handler which will over ride all the other rules… this just makes life simpler than worrying about which rule is triggering when for the greeting. The handler itself wont play a greeting at all, it’s just used for routing. Set the alternate greeting up to play a blank prompt (select the “blank” radio button, don’t use an empty recording). Set the after greeting action to “send caller to greeting” for the subscriber that is the teacher for this classroom.

That should do it. When a call comes in to Unity and the caller dials classroom “1001”, it will hit the call handler for 1001 and if it’s in the day, it will attempt to transfer to the room itself then, if no answer or busy, it will advance to the alternate greeting, and dump the caller to the greeting for the teacher. If it’s night, the transfer is not even attempted, and they again end up at the greeting for the teacher.

This will, of course, mean that teachers will use a different ID than the number folks are dialing to reach their classrooms. You can do a release transfer to their extension number above (assuming the extensions correspond to the teachers and not the classrooms) and it’ll forward automatically to that teacher’s greeting.

If I’m misunderstanding your application needs, let me know and we can take another run at this.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Anonymous
N/A

I think that Jeff's response to the previous post is very close to what you want, but not exactly. That application still requires user input when the call reaches Unity.

He mentioned, "When a call comes in to Unity and the caller dials classroom “1001”, "

(they have to dial the extension of the phone)

In your case, it sounds like the DID numbers would always have to be directed at Unity, regardless of time of day. (there's no scheduled forwarding on CallManager, right?). You just want it to sometimes play the greeting and other times transfer to the extension. I don't think that is going to be possible. In that situation, Unity is going to think the call was a forwarded call (the integration information looks the same at any time of the day), and it is always going to play the greeting. A forwarded call will be treated much differently than if some one dials a DTMF ID of a Subscriber or Call Handler within Unity.

In Jeff's example, there is a 1:1 relationship b/w the Call Handlers and Subscriber boxes. I am a little confused about the routing rules. Why were you going to use the routing rules?

I'm at home right now and a bit sleepy. I am going to take another look at your application when I get in the office, but I am thinking we might be out of luck.

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

Views
Helpful
Replies