Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Call Manager and Active Directory

Does anyone know if it is possible and/or recommended by Cisco to run Call Manager and Active Directory on the same MCS? If so, are there any issues to be aware of? I want to be able to run Active Dir and Call Mgr on the same server while using the Cisco Directory Connector to map users in AD to CallManager for ease of use and management. Note also that this is a Unity integration. Unity is not on the same physical server but is talking to the Call Manager server via TSP(Just incase there are any issues).

Thanks in advance,

Brian Heyliger

heyligerb@telecomsys.com

2 REPLIES

Re: Call Manager and Active Directory

Hi Brian -

In your example, will the Active Directory server be functioning as a PDC Emulator for legacy client logon or providing other AD roles (Schema Master, RID Master, Infrastructure Master); be a Global Catalog Server; be delivering Group Policy to clients; as well as authenticating clients? In a number of books we've studied in planning our AD domain design, it is not recommended to have domain controllers also serve as file or application servers. Some of the reasons are:

- Disaster recovery becomes more complicated

- There may be requirements to restrict physical security to the domain controller

- Ongoing communication required between AD and clients (authentication, global catalog searches, policy updates, etc.); possibly competing with CallManager functions

Sincerely,

Ginger Kavan

Re: Call Manager and Active Directory

I ran AD on the Unity box and left Call Manager alone and it worked fine. The issue is not works but what is supported by TAC. In my case it is just a lab system.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content