Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Call manager and Remote control

We currently have call manager installed and everything is working nicely. We need to allow for the remote control of the deskop for support reasons. What is the supported method for doing this? Can I load VNC? PCAnywhere? Dameware? Terminal Services?

I want to avoid finger pointing during troubleshooting with the TAC.

Ron Russell

6 REPLIES

Re: Call manager and Remote control

I use Terminal Services and it works fine. I feel that the less loaded onto the server the better.

I'm sure any of those options will work. the real question is "What will Cisco support"? Or at least not throw a fit over if it's installed on the call manager.

I have been on the phone with TAC several times and they know I am using Terminal Services and have never objected. I would personally recommend using TS since it is installed by default and part of the OS. I just feel that the less on the box other than CM the better.

In the call manager version upgrade documentations,

it's mentioned that only VNC is allowed for remote upgrade operations.

Terminal services service is running by default on the CM server, and is said to be for use by TAC engineers whenever needed in a case.

For normal operations and control (backup etc.) , i use terminal services too.

But, since no info is provided for PC Anywhere or dameware, i think they are most probably not defined as approved software, so you shouldn't install and use them at all.

baris.

Gold

VNC is supported, and even distributed with CallManager. You may perform remote install and upgrade operations freely with VNC.

Terminal Services is permitted and enabled for general poking around, but you should NOT perform any software installations or upgrades of any sort, as many things are known to break in subtle and hard to troubleshoot ways. CallManager install definitely doesn't work (SQL install breaks down), service packs apply broken, you can't do certain things with Unity, etc etc etc. Do not install or upgrade software over Terminal Services.

I can second that from experience as well. I have had several programs not function properly when installed via terminal services. They do appear to work correctly using PCAnywhere or Dameware (and I assume VNC as well) as those actually control the desktop and not a virtual session as Terminal Services does.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content