cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Call Manager Express/Unity Express

jroseto
Level 1
Level 1

here is my problem. we have a cme/unity express router in a remote office. when we call (4 digit dial) a number the call traverses our WAN connection. if the called party doesnt pick up the call gets dropped. its supposed to go to voice mail. one question i have is. would our Call manager in the home office have any involvment in this issue. If the called party doesnt pickup is it the Home office CM's responsibility to reroute to Unity Ex. or should CME reroute the call to UEX? hope this is clear

regards

5 Replies 5

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Joseph,

My guess is that this is a codec issue in the CME. Have a look;

Codecs and Transcoding

Cisco Unity Express supports only G.711 voice streams, so all calls made into the system (including those from IP phones, PSTN gateway ports and any other VoIP equipment in your network) must use G.711 if they enter the AA or voice mail pilot numbers that terminate on Cisco Unity Express.

If you require that G.729A calls traverse IP segments of your network between sites, and that these calls forward or dial direct into Cisco Unity Express AA or voice mail, then you must use a transcoding resource collocated with Cisco Unity Express to change the voice stream from G.729A to G.711 before the voice stream enters the AA or voice mail pilot numbers.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps5520/products_implementation_design_guide_chapter09186a00804993c0.html#wp1011776

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.....

rob,

we are using g729 to traverse our wan. question i have is if the user doesnt pick up, where does the voice stream get its marching orders to use either 729 or 711 to talk to unity express or AA. does the router 2821 on the far end make that decision or does Call manager on the calling end decide which codec to use?

thanks,

Hi Joseph,

You will have to use transcoding resources collocated with Cisco Unity Express to change the voice stream from G.729A to G.711 before the voice stream enters the AA or voice mail pilot numbers. **(2821 at far end)**

Cisco CallManager Express 3.3: Transcoding Between G.729 and G.711

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4625/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00804ad867.html#wp2234735

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.....

thanks rob. very helpful. we need to check out the 2821, i know it has transcoding on it but not sure how its set up. i will ask

thanks, again

jroseto
Level 1
Level 1

thanks for the info, i will check with my network mgr regarding the codec we are sending to this office.