cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Call Manager Implementation

joedaly
Level 1
Level 1

I''m designing a small VOIP network, 6 remote sites via T-1 WAN, 2-3 phones/site and a centralized call manager. Redundancy is not an issue, and there is no need for a PSTN access. The network is a totally closed IP WAN. Every reference I''ve found so far describes Call Manager clustering and recommends that the Combined publisher /TFTP and the Call Manager reside on seperate platforms. My question is: Is it necessary to have seperate platforms in a small implementation.

8 Replies 8

rlyons
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Joe,

How many phones,how many gateways, and what hardware platform?

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for the reply, sorry it took so long for me to reply. I'm looking at 1-3 phones per site for 6 sites. The CM platform will be the MCS-7835.

jtvedte
Level 1
Level 1

NO - single CM is ok

With redundancy not being an issue - basically - if the CM or T1(s) go down - then the phones don't work....

Can you let me know the WAN structure a bit more however - Is this a T1 frame - or PP

John

The WAN is an MPLS backbone through Worldcom's VBNS+. I understand the risks of a non-redundant voice system, however, this implementation is just going to be a small model as a proof of concept. If it goes onward to a much larger scenario, then, redundancy will come into play. For this run through I will be using an MCS-7835 for the call manager and I wasn't sure if the database and TFTP server could be colocated in the same device. I'm assuming it can.

Thanks for the reply.

TFTP is installed by default on the CM - to reside on the CM-

You can have DNS and DHCP services running also - for proof of concept....

If you need any help - let me know....

JohnT@comp-sol.com

Hello Joe,

If you have 6 site times 3 phones that gives you a total of 18 phones. Even running TFTP and designating the MCS-7835 as a publisher you should have lots of processor cycles left over.

A 7835 can support 2,500 phones and 10,000 devices.

Bob

I had 200 phones on asingle box running everything. Keep in mind ISDN Bri circuit is a cheap alternative for backup.

lkauderer
Level 1
Level 1

We are running 3.0.11 on three CM. One CM is for the home office, one is for our remote offices and the third is a backup for the home and remote offices. We have TFTP running on all three for backup and load balancing purposes. We have 200 phones in the home office and a total of 100 for the remote offices. We have not seen any degradation with TFTP loaded on the CM's. Also, each server should be able to handle up to 4,000 phones with the newest CM loads.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: