cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Call Manager Name DNS Error on 1 phone only

keven.scott
Level 1
Level 1

I have an environment where I've configured several phones with no issue, however one phone, with the exact same environment settings as the working phones, hangs at "Call Manager Name DNS Error" when starting up. I've tried juggling the configuration every way I know how and can't get it to work. We use static IP's primarily but do have DHCP set up to work. I've configured a few phones just using DHCP but that doesn't work for this phone either.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions whilst I wait for my TAC to be processed

6 Replies 6

laura113
Level 1
Level 1

I have had that before as well. It turns out that the phones firmware was 'old enough' that it was not able to take the load correctly from a newer CCM version. We were lucky enough to be doing a slow migration to 3.1x so I just homed the phone to the older 3.0 CCM where it was able to boot correctly and get some updated firmware. Then I was able to rehome it to the 3.1 CCM and it booted correctly!

You might want to take a look at http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_ipphon/ip_7960/admguide/admin3_2/7900trb4.htm#xtocid9 as well...Good Luck.

Yeah that's a good idea. I believe I still have a 3.0 environment I can target them to. I could have sworn 1 or 2 of the phones I used that worked were running the same Firmware revision before they successfully connected and upgraded. Wouldn't hurt to go ahead and repoint the failing phones though. Thanks for the tip and the link.

mimckee
Level 1
Level 1

I guess another question I would have is what you have configured in system -> server in ccmadmin. Do you have the name of the server or the IP address.

Thank you,

-Mckee

Actually the CM entry is the DNS value, not the IP. I had considered changing it to IP but since this is only with a couple of older phones I didn't want to jeapordize functionality of an otherwise working environment. I also thought about entering the MAC address, but it's a rack mount server so I'd have to bring it down to crack it open to get the MAC.

You can get the mac from a comand prompt and typing ipconfig /all. Are you sure the phones getting this error are getting a dns server ip address from the dhcp scope or manually configured?

Thank you,

-Mckee

EVERYTHING you are describing is what happened to me, including the fact that the actual CCM name showed up on the 7960 Network Configs, but when working correctly, even though I am using DNS for the CCM the IP Address shows up on the name (as it should, I believe?). I had tried MANY things and I am almost certain that what I've described previously is what finally fixed it. Just point the "bad" phone to the other CCM let it boot and then switch to the new CCM. If what you are remembering is true and the "bad" phone previously was registered with the 3.0 CCM then I am at a loss. I do remember seeing a link on CCO about upgrading a phone load, so I looked for it and only came up with the link that I sent you previously, I'm not too sure that was the one though. Do NOT follow the DNS trail, apparently it is a VERY misleading error message! What does TAC say?