Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Call on Hold timer

Did an interesting test over the weekend. In our lab we put a call form one IP phone to another on hold to see how long the call would stay on hjold before there was some type of hold call reminder. Well come monday morning, the MOH is still playing and there is no indication that there was ever a notification back to the phone that placed the call on hold in the first place. There is a parameter somewhere for a retrieval when you put a call on park. There should be a similar one for placing a call on hold. Anyone know of such a parameter buried somewhere in the 3.3 code? There is such a parameter for analog phones hanging on a VG248, but that is a VG248 system parameter.

I did see that someone asked this question back in Jan 2003, but a lot has changed.

Thanks.

7 Replies 7

mcnerney
Level 4
Level 4

When I place a call on hold from my 7960, the display flashes the CLI and the call timer continues to count. Are you also looking for some sort of audible reminder in addition to the flashing CLI?

Yes, Some type of audible signal would be what is needed. Running 3.3 Call manager.

I know that in older versions (3.1 /3.2) there wasn't any hold recall timer, and I've not seen one in 3.3.

I've even been told from within Cisco that if you put a call on hold from a PSTN gateway (6608 blade) that the call is cut off after 5 minutes, though I've not tested this.

I think the idea is you park calls rather than hold them, that way the call comes back to you after the timeout.

Paul

mcnerney
Level 4
Level 4

In Service Parameters there is a field called: Tone on Hold Timer. When I clicked on the "I" button for help here is what it says:

This parameter specifies the number of seconds between every two hold tones played when a call is put on hold. Its effect on MGCP-based devices differs from other devices: a) For MGCP-based devices, if this value is 0 or 200,000, it completely disables the hold tone on that device; Any other value will enable the hold tone on MGCP-based devices when the caller is put on hold. b) For all other (non-MGCP-based) devices, if this value is 0, the held device will play the hold tone only one time when the caller is put on hold; if value is 200,000, no hold tone will be palyed at all; Otherwise, the held device will play the hold tone every so many seconds (specified by this value) repeatedly. If the value is less than 5 seconds, the device will raise it to 5 seconds.

This is a required field.

Default: 10.

Unit: sec.

Minimum: 0.

Maximum: 200000.

Good Luck!!!

Well, I looked at every parameter option in under Services and Enterprise parameters, and this Tone on hold timer is not there in Call Manager 3.3.2spC.

Also is this tone heared on the phone that placed the call on hold or is this in place of Music on Hold for the phone that was placed on hold.

If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

The tone on hold is the indeed the tone that the held party hears when there's no MOH.

There's currently no feature that allows calls that are placed on hold to revert to the party that placed them on hold via an audible ring. If the reminder is needed, then the only way to do it, is like Paul mentioned, to park the calls instead of putting them on hold. I'm sure the feature has been requested before, so your Cisco Account Team might have info on when it might be implemented.

Regards.

Thanks for the clarification. I will follow up with my local Account team on getting a feature request in.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: