cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Call Screening Problems???!!!!!!!Strange

triad
Level 1
Level 1

I have a user who is currently set up so that her calls are screened. In Unity that was set up in the Call Transfer page of Unity. Under "Gather Caller Information", all the boxes are checked. The problem we are having is that when outside callers dial the user's extension and leave their name after Unity asks for it, the subscriber will then pick up the phone and will hear silence. The subscriber often asks if the caller said their name when prompted and they respond yes. What is happening? We trust that the caller is telling the truth. He/she is leaving their name when asked by Unity. Why is it not relaying over to the subscriber.

Any ideas???

9 Replies 9

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Does this work when the caller is internal? If so, sounds like perhaps it could be a one way audio issue or something along those lines...

What type of phone system integration is used here?

Unity 3.1(2) and Call Manager 3.1(2c). I think that's all your asking. Oh, we are a voice T1 connection.

It's possible that there is a one-way audio problem. However, if that were the case, I would expect the same caller (as the one the subscriber did not hear the voice name for) to leave a blank message of the subscriber they were trying to reach was not there.

The Unity componens that deal with recording are pretty good about reporting problems with recording if it's anything else than a one-way audio problem. If that is the case, the event log would show errors either during the record of the voice name, or the play back of it. Are there any glaring errors?

Can these callers succesfully leave messages?

Does this always happen?

Hi guys,

I just wanted to give you guys an update on the case. I have been working with TAC on the issue also. This is what they had me do. I uninstalled W2K SP3 from the Unity sever and reinstalled TSP 6.02b (I forgot to mention that these were the lastest "updates" I made on the server. I am not sure if the problem started to occur after the changes. We just wanted to rule it out).

Well the problem is still there. When someone calls they are asked by Unity "Who may I say is calling?". The caller says his/her name. When the subscriber picks up the phone, Unity will NOT say who is calling. It is blank. That's the problem. I am not aware of any blank messages left on any subscribers boxes. It's just when the subscriber picks up and expects to hear who it is and that is not happening.

TAC had me create a phone with no Unity configured so that I could make internal calls and test the call screening feature internally. We found out the problem is still there so it rules out problems with the gateway.

Basically now we are stumped. Any Suggestions? The problem occurs not every time but about 50% of all calls. It happens to different people too. Is there any logging we can enable?

Thanks guys.

r

There's two things that I can think at this point: 1) set TSP traces and ensure that the TSP is proceeding with the correct skinny messages to accoplish the three-way type activity that's going on 2) sniff the network to see if Unity is sending audio to the appropriate IP address (phone).

I'd say that we could try to simulate what Unity is doing with an IP phone, but Unity has a button template of the older 12 sp+s. I don't think it would be an accurate test to try it with a newer phone.

Hi Guys,

TAC actually sent the TSP logs to someone in the forum. Thanks for your help by the way. I guess from the logs, it showed that when the error occurred the Caller's Name was recorded but Unity detected only silence on the line, rather than the caller's voice. Because Unity detected only silence, it returned an empty wave file for the caller's name. So, during call-screening, it played this zero-length file.

This was the result of a test we did where I made calls into Unity and was screened. It worked correctly until the ninth call and then the problem continued for additional calls. It was this ninth call and subsequent, that had the zero-length file.

We are not sure why Unity did not record anything. On all calls I used a handset to make the call. Also I used the same tone and volume of voice to make the call. I am not aware of any recording problems elsewhere on the network.

I guess the next step is to use a network sniffer. Cisco had suggested Sniffer Pro. Is there anything else we can use? How about the sniffer that comes with Windows 2000 or SMS?

What?HOW?Where? am I looking for?

Thanks for all your help.

From troubleshooting previous audio problems (not always a pretty thing to do), I'd recommend going with SnifferPro. The best thing to do is span the switch port that Unity is connected to and sniff while reproducing the problem. In theory, the span'd port should be receiving the same RTP stream as the Unity box. There's other utilities that TAC has access to that can actually rebuild the captured RTP stream into a wav file.

The network monitor in W2K isn't bad, but I would be hesitant to run it on the actualyUnity server. From such a capture, you'd expect to be able to confirm if the Unity server is receiving an RTP stream, but as far as being able to rebuild the stream, I don't know.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: