cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Call Setup/Tear Down and Skinny keepalive bandwidth consumtion?

mschlenger
Level 3
Level 3

Assuming H.323, anyone aware of the bandwidth consumption for a remote site that is ONLY going across the WAN for call setup/tear down and skinny keepalives? I'm trying to understand the average bandwidth consumtion for each process. I wish I had a WAN sniffer...

3 Replies 3

mtiryaki
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Why do you need a WAN sniffer.

You can use MS Network monitor or any sniffer software to calculate the banwidth requirement.

Skinny keepalives by defauld are sent every 30 seconds to Primary CCM and every 60 seconds to secondary CCM.

Each keepalive is like this:

phone---->CCM = 12 bytes of data + TCP header + IP Header + L2 header

phone<----CCM = 12 bytes of data + TCP header + IP Header + L2 header

phone---->CCM = 0 bytes of data + TCP header + IP Header + L2 header

Murat

I need the WAN sniffer because I'm ~800 miles away from the servers and I'm a little hesitant to run MS Network Monitor on a production CM server.

My reason for asking is I'm installing a remote site off a CM cluster, using centralized call processing, and only using CM for the tasks I mentioned. All inbound and outbound calls will be handled at this location and was curious as to how much bandwidth these tasks consume, so I could use MQC to carve out some bandwidth on this low speed link.

hello

from dave white siemens in the uk dave.white@siemens.com

could you try enabling nbar protocol discovery on the outgoing wan interface, this might save you a site visit & give you an idea of how much data for ip telephony is traversing the wan connection.

on the interface ip nbar protocol discovery

show ip nbar protocol discovery to view.

Good luck

Dave.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: