Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call transfer

Call manager 3.08, unity 2.46<br>We're a school system that needs to treat classrooms differectly than an office. I want to assign each teacher an extension, preferably a did number, that routes to UNity. From there, Unity will decide if teh classroom is "open or closed", and route the call accordingly. If the classroom is "closed" it should use the standard greeting, and then take a message. If the classroom is "open", it should use the closed greeting and allow the call to transfer to the internal phone number of the classroom. I have not been able to get this to work. The call transfers back to it's own greeting for some reason. What would be the best way to set this up?<br><br>I have entered a dummy MAC address in call manager as a phone, and fwded all calls to unity. From there, I made a subscriber, abd tried all different types of settings. Also tried it as a call handler. Would be easier , too, if unity could transer to an extension, rather than a subscriber.... help.<br><br>

12 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Call transfer

What? Nobody has ever done this before?

Anonymous
N/A

If I understand your application correctly, this should be pretty straight forward to setup. You will need to use call handlers for this since subscribers have only one transfer rule which is always enabled or disabled… you have to use a call handler if you want optional transfers based on schedules.

I’m assuming each teacher will be a subscriber and that there is a 1 to 1 relationship between classrooms and teachers (i.e. you don’t have two or more teachers sharing a classroom or something).

For each classroom setup a call handler and assign it a schedule as appropriate to determine when it’s “open” or “closed”. You’ll be using the handlers' “standard” transfer for when it’s open and the “closed” transfer for when it’s closed. The standard transfer is always enabled, go ahead and enable the closed transfer as well (which is off by default).

The standard transfer rule should be setup to do a supervised transfer to the classroom extension number in question. The closed transfer rule should be enabled but set to “no, send directly to this handler’s greeting”.

Go ahead and enable the alternate greeting rule on the call handler which will over ride all the other rules… this just makes life simpler than worrying about which rule is triggering when for the greeting. The handler itself wont play a greeting at all, it’s just used for routing. Set the alternate greeting up to play a blank prompt (select the “blank” radio button, don’t use an empty recording). Set the after greeting action to “send caller to greeting” for the subscriber that is the teacher for this classroom.

That should do it. When a call comes in to Unity and the caller dials classroom “1001”, it will hit the call handler for 1001 and if it’s in the day, it will attempt to transfer to the room itself then, if no answer or busy, it will advance to the alternate greeting, and dump the caller to the greeting for the teacher. If it’s night, the transfer is not even attempted, and they again end up at the greeting for the teacher.

This will, of course, mean that teachers will use a different ID than the number folks are dialing to reach their classrooms. You can do a release transfer to their extension number above (assuming the extensions correspond to the teachers and not the classrooms) and it’ll forward automatically to that teacher’s greeting.

If I’m misunderstanding your application needs, let me know and we can take another run at this.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Anonymous
N/A

Things are getting clearer, but here's some more detail.
I don't always have a 1:1 teacher to room ratio. Some rooms are shared some are High School teachers who roam from room to room. Those teachers will get a subscriber box, but there'd be no way to know where to transfer the call to, so that is not an issue for them.

However, in my elementary and middle schools, the teacher do has assigned rooms and here is what would be best for them:

All day: Internal calls can dial all roms directly ( I assume this is what you meant by different numbers than what the techer has - this is no problem.)

Before and after school: a DID call goes right to teachers call handler, and from there takes a message. Caller should be able to hit 0 and get to operator. No possibility of transfer to the classroom should be offered.

During School: a DID call goes to call handler, and from there EITHER take a message, or as a button option, attempt to dial into the classroom extension.

The DID part of the equation is important. I'd like to be able to give all the teachers a direct number to give their students and parents that is "theirs". So the call would actually be handled by unity right from the start. I have to map the DID numbers through "fake" IP phones to callfwdall to unity to do this, but it's working on other announcement lines.

Hadn't thought of using the blank part of alternate greeting. That's a nice trick. Wondered why that was there.

Does it sound like this should work? My open and closed hours are actually oposite of what normal open and closed hours would be for a business. As long as I set up a custom schedule, I should be alright, yes?

Anonymous
N/A

OK… this should work… I misunderstood a bit there thinking you wanted to do transfers to the classroom automatically during the day instead of giving the callers a choice. As such, I would take a slightly different approach.

You’ll still need a call handler for each classroom phone, but these handlers do not need extension numbers... they're optional on call handlers, you can assign them if you want to allow auto attendant transfers to classroom phones by other means other than going through the teahcher's greetings (see below). Regardless what you do with the extenions, set them up such that the alternate transfer and alternate greeting are both set active (no need to get fancy with the standard/closed greetings/transfers with this). The alternate transfer rule should be a supervised transfer to the classroom phone and the greeting should again be blank and set to go to the greeting for the primary teacher for that room (or whoever you want to get messages for that line… technically this can be a group of teachers if you want, by the way).

On the teacher’s subscriber record, have their standard greeting setup to sound something like “Hi, this is Mr. Answer Monkey, to try me in my classroom, press 1, to leave me a message, press 2 or stay on the line, to transfer to the operator, press 0”. You may opt to have the greeting play twice (you can use the “reprompt the user…” checkbox at the bottom of the greeting page to dictate how many times to repeat… once is usually more than enough even for the slowest fingered caller). You can set the after greeting action up to return to the opening greeting, or take a message, or go to the operator or whatever you want in the event the user doesn’t select an option here… leaving a message is the norm.

For the closed greeting, just say “This is Mr. Answer Monkey, please leave me a message and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can”. Set the after greeting action up to take a message.

You’ll need to set the one key rules up such that:

1 – “attempt transfer for” the call handler for that classroom.
2 – Take message
0 – “Attempt transfer for” the operator call handler

You’d typically have the other keys set to ignore and you can also lock them if you want (i.e. callers cannot dial another extension in the directory from within this greeting… the user MUST select one of the options or time out to leave this mailbox). Depends on how draconian you want to get with the callers.

The one hitch here is that the one key routing rules are active for all greetings… as such a caller hearing the closed greeting may still hit 1 and ring the phone in the classroom even though the options isn’t voiced. This shouldn’t be a big deal in your case but if you’ve got jumpy janitors that might freak out on you, just be aware it’s a possibility.

Assuing your virtual extensions for your DID lines are for each teacher and that you have more teachers than classroom phones, this should work out nicely. Each teacher gets their own number but several of them can "share" a classroom phone for transfer purposes.

Report back to the class and let us know how it works out for you.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Anonymous
N/A

an immense help...I can't wait to try it. I'm going to PCanywhere in this afternoon, and I'll let you know the results. Thanks.

Anonymous
N/A

I can't get it to work. Some questions:
1) I have a call handler, ext 6501(the room extension) set like this..
- No optional extension
- I have a sepeical classroom schedule set up with the "standard" hours being the ones bepore adn afer school, and the closed hours are actually about 8-4 pm
- under call transfer, i have it set to "no, send driectly to this handlers greeting for standard
- alternate is enable, an is set to "yes ring a subscriber at this extension, and I enterd ext 6501
- set to supervised with no holding and no other options
- Under greetings, the standard is set to system, and after greeting is set to take message
- alternate is enable to the blank greeting, and after greeting is set to send caller to subscriber, which is the teachers DID extension of 3002

For the subscriber (teacher) a DID extension of 3002, the special schedule is selected
- under call transfer, it is set to "No, send directly to subscribers greeting"
- standard greeting is recorded, and allows caller input, and after greeting is set to take message
- alternate greeting is disbaled, closed greeting is enable end recorded by me
- under caller input, i button 1 is set to send caller to call handler for 6501 ( the room's extension)
- button 2 is set to take message

The only difference I see is where you talk about one key rules, the button 1 choice doesn't say "attempt transfer for" like you suggested, it says "send caller to ...(it's the last choice there) and then the drop-down box of choices.

What am I missing?

Anonymous
N/A

well... what's happening when you call into the system? I can't really suggest what you've done wrong without knowing the behavior of the system at present.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Anonymous
N/A

taking a closer read here, it looks like you have your one key rule for "1" setup wrong on the subscriber. This trips some folks up...

you've hit the radio button for "send caller to" properly and selected "call handlers" and hit the "select call handler" button properly.... however, on the resulting call handler selection dialog, there's a drop down at the bottom labeled "conversation". By default it's set to "send to greeting for", you need to change this to "attempt transfer for". You need to select this before selecting the call handler to send the call to.

This allows folks to have some control over if the phone will ring for a user/handler or not when you send a call to it. If you go to "send to greeting for" entry point, it'll skip the entire transfer sequence (which is what I bet is happening here).

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Anonymous
N/A

Sorry - forgot to tell you the sypmtoms - it never tries to transfer - repeats the greeting immediately. I just signed back on to tell you that, and now i'll try what you have suggested as the probable cause.

Anonymous
N/A

Works! Pretty Slick. Any other thoughts on how to prevent one dial of 1 key during time when we don't want it to transfer to the classroom?

Does my call Handler need the custom schedule, or just the subscriber?

Anonymous
N/A

Cool.

No, the call handler doesn't need a schedule because you're using the altnerate transfer and greeting rules (that are always active when enabled, regardless of the schedule associated).

There's no way to have different one key options for different greetings (i.e. have "1" mean one thing for the standard greeting but something else for the closed greeting) but you should be able to disable caller input entirely for your closed greeting by unchecking the "allow caller input" option on that greeting (but leave it checked for the standard greeting). I haven't tested this recently but this should still work.

The other way to handle it if that doesn't fly is to adjust the call handlers to use standard and closed transfer rules and apply a schedule to the handler (i.e. instead of using the simpler model of just using the alternate). The off hours transfer rule will simply dump them back to the subscriber's greeting (i.e. like you were seeing yesterday evening).

I'd try disabling caller input for the closed greeting first... cleaner solution.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Anonymous
N/A

Jeff - this project has been going well. I'm down to the last few rooms. I have a couple of rooms where 3 or 4 people work, and each would like to offer the option of pressing "1" to ring the room (direct to the call handler for that room). If no answer, though, unity wants to send it back to a single subscriber from that call handler, and its not necesarily the one that originated the call. What would be the best way to route this back to the originating voicemail box? Another Call handler with a 1,2,3 option? or can the rooms extension call handler do this by changing the alternate greeting to a recording, and allowing caller input on the callhandler?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content