Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Called Caller Id

When i call someones extertion internaly i only see the extention im calling, is there a way to show the name of the person im calling? When someone calls me internally i see the calling name fine.

THanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Called Caller Id

The alerting name field on an IP Phone is what is displayed when you are calling a user. The display name is what is presented after the user picks up. Alerting name I believe was added in CM 4.x and higher. Preevious to that I'm unsure if they used the Display name during ring or nothing at all. Make sure this field is populated on your IP Phones.

Please rate the posts

Thanks

Fred

7 REPLIES

The alerting name field on an IP Phone is what is displayed when you are calling a user. The display name is what is presented after the user picks up. Alerting name I believe was added in CM 4.x and higher. Preevious to that I'm unsure if they used the Display name during ring or nothing at all. Make sure this field is populated on your IP Phones.

Please rate the posts

Thanks

Fred

That did it Thanks

Does anyone know of an easy way to copy the 'display name' to the 'alerting name' field easily? It looks like they're stored in different SQL tables.

If you use the BAT import to create all of your phones, the 'alerting name' is not populated.

Jeff,

BAT does support populating the alerting name. Create a custom File Format in the BAT.XLT phones tab. One of the options will be Alerting name. Then copy and paste your Display name column into the Alerting name column if you want them to be identical. If you have already Bulked your phones already then I don't believe BAT has an option to update the Alerting name. (The Add Lines doesn't have an alerting name option) You could also look at bulk delete of the phones and bulk add again with the correct information. Or you could bulk dummy CTI Ports with the same directory numbers (thus making shared lines) and then delete them when done. This would then allow you to apply the Alerting Name, since it's part of a shared line, but you'd need to be real careful as the bulk of the shared line would overwrite anything if you didn't have it exactly like it was before.

Another way you can update is via AXL. This will give you some flexibility to make bulk updates to almost everything in the database. It will take some time to learn. Here is the link to the developers website where you can get the AXL documents.

http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/dev_support/access_level/product_support

Please rate any helpful posts

Thanks

Fred

ALerting Field only metter if you are QSIG (Exemple QSIG PRI with a PBX or with your Provider)

Analog line, you cant control the Display this is under the CO control (Provider)

PRI usually: Display name get send initially

However when you "call" out on PSTN.

- if QSIG, alerting should be receive once "connected"

CallManager cannot "know" the name you call, unless the provider send it, However, will work while connected, and depend on the "interconnexion" :

- Analog: no

- Digitial : Yes, if Qsig (Maybe other protocol support this too)

Martin

Alerting name is important on a CM internal call if shared lines are in effect. Potentially a shared line, on the phone, can have a different Display name then alerting but the alerting name is unique to the shared line. This is the reason they are in separate tables. If no Alerting name is present CCM will default to the Display Name.

Please rate any helpful posts

Thanks

Fred

This is NOT CISCO TAC supported but may work in SQL to replicate your display name to your ALTERING NAME.

update numplan set alertingname = b.display from numplan a join devicenumplanmap b on a.pkid = b.fknumplan

Views
Helpful
Replies