cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Called ID supported BY MGCP

rjain
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know that MGCP supports Caller ID or not? IF yes than how to configure it. We have Pots line coming in.

5 Replies 5

dugrant
Level 4
Level 4

Nope, no Caller ID with MGCP/FXO.

do you know when Cisco it wil be supported in near future.In that do we have to go to H323 for Caller ID support.Is h323 better than MGCP ?

Thanks

I havent heard anything about support for it coming. H.323 will work with Caller ID, in a stable network there really isnt alot of difference between the two. In the past, h.323 has proven to be more reliable in my experience.

However, with MGCP you can designate which ports a phone sends it's calls out of. I have a site with 12 people from 12 different companies and they each have one POTS line. Each office is in a different partition. With MGCP I can make sure each businesses call goes out their POTS line. With H.323 I just send the call to the gateway and it picks the first available port. It is ridiculous that Caller ID with FXO and MGCP has not been fixed yet. Very discouraging.

That is true, but there is a trick you can do to get the same with H.323.

You can set each Route Pattern for each customer to prefix a code when the call is sent to the gateway, and then the dial-peers on the gateway will have a destination pattern that matches that access code, and sends the call to the specified port in the dial-peer.