cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Caller ID on FXO Cards

Jake Pratt
Level 1
Level 1

I need a little help from a smart voice person (or at least a little smarter than me). I am running Call manager 7.1.3, with H.323 gateways.  Most of my gateways are 2800 routers with PRI's and blocks of DID's on them.  I have one particular office that just has a few FXO cards with some POTS lines connected to them.  I hardly ever mess with that office, so I don't know the layout very well.  I am much more familiar with my PRI gateways.

So, this is my problem.  I have one user that has a number he's used for years.  That number is forwarded into our main number XXX-XXX-5155.  When he calls out, he wants to diplay the caller ID of his long cherished number.  However, the caller ID shows that of another POTS line XXX-XXX-5740, when it goes out of that gateway.  If it goes out one of my PRI gateways, it shows the desired caller ID.  I'm trying to figure out what dictates the caller ID.  I don't know if it's a setting in CUCM, a setting in the gateway, or just tied to the line the gateway is using for outside dialtone, via the phone company.

Here is the basic config of my gateway in that location (a VG200).

voice class codec 1

codec preference 1 g711ulaw

codec preference 2 g729r8

!

!

!

voice class h323 1

h225 timeout tcp establish 3

!

!

!

!

!

interface FastEthernet0/0

ip address X.X.112.3 255.255.255.0

speed 100

full-duplex

h323-gateway voip bind srcaddr X.X.112.3

!

ip classless

no ip http server

ip pim bidir-enable

!

!

voice-port 1/0/0

connection plar opx 2501

description **** XXX-5155 ****

caller-id enable

!

voice-port 1/0/1

connection plar opx 2501

description **** XXX-0131 ****

caller-id enable

!

voice-port 1/1/0

connection plar opx 2501

description **** XXX-4903 ****

caller-id enable

!

voice-port 1/1/1

connection plar opx 2501

description **** XXX-5740 ****

caller-id enable

!

dial-peer voice 5 pots

preference 3

destination-pattern 9T

progress_ind setup enable 3

progress_ind alert enable 8

port 1/0/0

!

dial-peer voice 6 pots

preference 2

destination-pattern 9T

port 1/0/1

!

dial-peer voice 7 pots

preference 1

destination-pattern 9T

port 1/1/0

!

dial-peer voice 8 pots

destination-pattern 9T

port 1/1/1

!

dial-peer voice 100 voip

destination-pattern .T

voice-class codec 1

voice-class h323 1

session target ipv4:<CUCMSubscriber IP Address>

dtmf-relay h245-alphanumeric

no vad

!

dial-peer voice 101 voip

preference 1

destination-pattern .T

voice-class codec 1

voice-class h323 1

session target ipv4:<CUCMPublisher IP Address>

dtmf-relay h245-alphanumeric

no vad

!

As you can see, the caller ID being displayed is that of the pots line in voice-port 1/1/1.  That 2501 is an internal extension that is tied to the receptionist's phone in that office.  In call manager, I can go into this particular person's phone, and set his "External Phone Number Mask" to XXX-XXX-0494, but if it goes out this VG2000, it will display XXX-XXX-5740.  Can anyone think of a way to pass caller ID through the gateway?

If there isn't a way, due to the limitations of the FXO setup, perhaps there is a way to convert his external number to a pots line, plug it right into one of the FXO cards, and send it to his extension?  Then have his extension route its calls out through that pots line?

Thanks in advance for your help.

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Jake, there is no way to mask the caller id when going out of the FXO port. The caller id is showing the one attached to the 1/1/1 port because the dial-peer voice 8 has preference 0, so the call will take that dial-peer as "primary".

Gabriel.

View solution in original post

You can use a different prefix to the dial pattern, instead of using a prefix 9 you can use a prefix 8:

dial-peer voice 6 pots

destination-pattern 8T

port 1/0/1

Hi Jake, that article is a pretty good one. Basically you are changing the outbound prefix of your destination pattern, automatically. That way the dialing will be transparent for the user and it never going to notice the gateway change it. So you need to create a inbound voip dial peer with answer-address the user extension, create a translation rule that change the 9 with another prefix you want. Then create a outbound pots dial peer with destination pattern the new prefix and route the call to your desired FXO port.

Gabriel.

Hi Jake. No you are not an idiot. No one knows everything about everything.

You can't use / in translation rules. Take a look at this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094681.shtml

Another idea could be creating a unique route pattern 9.X! in a separate partition that is accessible just by a new calling search space. Then in the route pattern you can delete the 9 prefix and add a new prefix (8 in this case). Then you asign this new calling search space to the DN of the phone.

HTH

Gabriel.

14 Replies 14

Hi Jake, there is no way to mask the caller id when going out of the FXO port. The caller id is showing the one attached to the 1/1/1 port because the dial-peer voice 8 has preference 0, so the call will take that dial-peer as "primary".

Gabriel.

Thanks for the info.  I've been looking at the config a little more, and I kind of figured that was the case.  I also figured out it was using that line, simply because of a preference of 0.  I assume if 1/1/1 was in use, it would go to 1/1/0, and show a caller ID of XXX-XXX-4903.

So, if I want to do plan B, and convert his line to a pots line, and plug it right into my gateway, and tie that line directly to his phone.  I could forward his number to his exension by using this command:

connection plar opx .

But how could I route all calls from his extension out through a particular voice port?  Let's say I put his pots line in port 1/0/1, and used this syntax:

voice-port 1/0/1

connection plar opx 2525 (assuming his ext. is 2525)

description **** XXX-XXX-0494 ****

caller-id enable

How could I route all outbound calls from 2525 to port 1/0/1?

Thanks

You can use a different prefix to the dial pattern, instead of using a prefix 9 you can use a prefix 8:

dial-peer voice 6 pots

destination-pattern 8T

port 1/0/1

That's not a bad idea.  I would probably prefer to keep all my prefixes 9's to avoid confusion, and just route it based on calling party, if that's an option.  Otherwise, using a different prefix is a good viable option.  I assume I would need to create some additional translation patterns in Call Manager to get the calls to the gateway correctly.

I came across this article: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_configuration_example09186a00801bc341.shtml

I wonder if I could use this to route his extension out to a particular voice port.  I don't know if this solution would interfere with the translation patterns I have on my call manager.

Hi Jake, that article is a pretty good one. Basically you are changing the outbound prefix of your destination pattern, automatically. That way the dialing will be transparent for the user and it never going to notice the gateway change it. So you need to create a inbound voip dial peer with answer-address the user extension, create a translation rule that change the 9 with another prefix you want. Then create a outbound pots dial peer with destination pattern the new prefix and route the call to your desired FXO port.

Gabriel.

So, it looks like those commands won't work with the old code on this VG200.  If I create a new dial-peer, it only has the translate-outgoing command.  I cannot use the translation-profile command to map the calls from his phone.  Looks like I will need to stick with dialing a different prefix for him, unless there is some other code I can use with this old ios.

Hi Jake, "translation rules" are the old "voice translation rules" and "translate-outgoing" is the old "translation-profile" . So you can try using them.

Gabriel.

Let me ask you one more question, if it's alright.  I have been using the 8 prefix in the interrum, but I am now realizing that I'll have to duplicate all of my translation patterns in CUCM if I want to take advantage of my least cost routing with the 8 prefix, so I'm moving back to trying to get his calls, prefixed with a 9 to go out the specified voice-port.

I have created a translation rule called:

translation-rule 1

I am trying to match the steps in this article

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_configuration_example09186a00801bc341.shtml but using your substitutions of "translation-rule" and "translate-outgoing".  But the regular expression must be different in this older version as well.  when I try to input this syntax:

rule 1 /^9/ /19/

It throws this error message:

Incorrect format for Translation Match Pattern

regular expression must be of the form  ^(\^)?(\+)?([0-9,ABCD.*%?#]+)$

Invalid match pattern string input /^9/

I read a reply that said if I was using ios 12.2.11 or higher it would work, but I was only on 12.2.10.  So, I just upgraded last night to the latest 12.2.26c, but the regular expression still throws the same error.  I'm sorry I'm such an idiot when it comes to this stuff.  I'm not much of a voice guy.  Especially when it comes to gateways.

Thanks

Jake

Hi Jake. No you are not an idiot. No one knows everything about everything.

You can't use / in translation rules. Take a look at this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094681.shtml

Another idea could be creating a unique route pattern 9.X! in a separate partition that is accessible just by a new calling search space. Then in the route pattern you can delete the 9 prefix and add a new prefix (8 in this case). Then you asign this new calling search space to the DN of the phone.

HTH

Gabriel.

Gabriel

Thanks a million for all your help.  I am SO close, but I think I'm still missing one piece, since the article I'm following is for newer code and newer commands.  I am using a 9 prefix, and routing calls from ext. 2525 out port 1/0/1.  However, it is routing all of my calls out of port 1/0/1.  I can't quite seem to ONLY get calls from 2525 out of port 1/0/1.  Here is my config:

! - routes inbound calls on XXX-0494 to the internal extension 2525

voice-port 1/0/1

connection plar opx 2525

description ** XXX-XXX-0494 *****

caller-id enable

! - Prefixes

translation-rule 1

Rule 1 ^9 19

! - I think this is where my problem is.  This is supposed to be where it takes 2525 and ties it to translation-rule 1, I think

dial-peer voice 10 voip

answer-address 2525

translate-outgoing calling 2525

translate-outgoing called 1

!

! - routes the translated calls prefixed with 19 out port 1/0/1

dial-peer voice 11 pots

destination-pattern 19T

port 1/0/1

So, can you see what I'm missing?  I think I just need a way to tie 2525 to that translation-rule 1.

Thanks again

Jake

I think I got it.  I changed the dial-peer to this:

dial-peer voice 10 voip

answer-address 2525

I think I had this erroneous command in there, that was screwing things up:

I'll do some more testing, but I think we finally got it.  Thanks so much for all your help!

Yep, looks like it's working now.  I did change the dial-peer one more time while I was testing some stuff, and it was working like this, so I left it like this:

dial-peer voice 10 voip

Anyway, thanks again for all your help.  I owe you one!

Jake

No, I think I lied. (what an emotional rollercoaster)  When I call out from 2525, dialing a 1, and sending it out the gateway, it is just getting routed out the normal dial-peers on the default priority with the 9T destination pattern, rather than the 19T pattern.  Any ideas what I'm missing?

Thanks again

Jake

techguy
Level 4
Level 4

Make trunk group.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: