Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Caller on hold hears MoH plus other conversations

I have had two separate users complain of a strange problem that occurred when they put a caller on hold. The caller could hear both the MoH and a conversation going on between two other users in the office. For example, Mark on DN3326 put a caller on hold. The caller heard both our MoH and a conversation going on between Michelle on DN3376 and Colette on DN3341. The caller was able to clearly hear everything said in the conversation and repeated it back to Mark (the user who had put him on hold).

I suggested that the user may have somehow conferenced the caller in with the other users. When he then placed the call on hold, the caller heard both the MoH and the conversation going on between the other parties on the conference. However, this seems unlikely as the user insists that he only pressed the hold softkey, he did not have calls on any other lines at the same time, etc.

Has anyone else experienced an issue like this? Any ideas about what could have caused it?

Thanks.

15 REPLIES

Re: Caller on hold hears MoH plus other conversations

Are you able to replicate this issue a second time on the same phone or another phone?

Hi. No, I we have not been able to replicate the issue. It just happens out of the blue.

Hi. Yes, all of my users are on 7960 phones. We are using CCM version 4.1(3)sr2. The caller did come in over the PSTN on a PRI. Thanks.

Wow. Are these calls ever analog at any point? What is your MoH source, and is it ever analog? I'm wondering if you have a simple case of crosstalk somewhere, but I think it's unlikely.

If the calls are digital end-to-end then I'd open up a TAC case ASAP.

Hi. No, the call is never analog. The MoH source is CCM. So, I think crosstalk is completely ruled out. I will open a TAC case, but of course, I will have to replicate the issue and provide traces. So, who knows when it will happen again. I was hoping that someone else had experienced it and knew how to fix it. Thanks.

I'll say it again...wow. This is a fairly serious bug! I sure hope they can figure out what's causing it. Keep us updated.

Can you tell us more about the hardware involved? This seems really strange because the call between your two users should be point-to-point. For the life of me, I can't figure out how someone on hold could hear the audio from a point-to-point IP call.

The only thing that makes any sense to me would be if the IP call started out as a conference, a third party dropped out, but the DSPs were not completely released from service. Perhaps those same DSPs were used to service the external call, resulting in a mixing of the audio paths while the external call was on hold.

No matter how you slice it, that's pretty strange.

Are Mark, Colette, and Michelle all on IP phones? Is the caller in question coming in from the PSTN?

We had a customer who complained about a similar issue. In fact two users who were on hold actually struck up a conversation with each other.

It happened a couple times, but could not be reproduced. I opened a TAC case and they attributed it to cross-talk on analog lines, but I doubted that.

Are you using Multicast MOH?

Our customer is.

I had thought it might have something to due with something buggy happening with multicast traffic on the switch rather than in Call Manager. But I could never verify that.

Sorry, I don't have a solution, the problem kind of just went away.

Now that is really, really scary. I just can't even imagine the implications of that. Since we have no analog lines involved, it can't be crosstalk. We are using multicast MoH. CCM is the server as it is local to all the phones involved. I will keep y'all posted on what TAC has to say.

Cisco Employee

What software version are you running? There was an MTP bug where the rtp streams were not torn down poperly when the call was taken off hold.

Mike

Cisco Employee

May be CSCsb16361

I've had very similar issues, not sure what it is yet though. We had thought the same about it being a conferenced call? But i doubt it

We finally resolved the issue. I meant to post, but it completely slipped my mind. We were using the multiple calls on one line feature. We changed the phones so that they all have 2 lines and have disabled call waiting. Now, my users place the caller on hold on one line and pick up a second line to make the second call. The problem has been resolved.

I should also add, that our original issue turned out to be worse than we thought. When my users would put a customer on hold and then place a second call (from the same line using the multple calls on a single line feature) to our trading desk to get quotes, the on-hold customer could hear that entire conversation as well. NOT GOOD FOR BUSINESS! This was happening frequently, and may have been happening on every call. It certainly happened on every test call that we made with the users. But getting rid of the feature and configuring 2 separate lines on the phones fixed it. My users have to do with one less speed dial, but it is worth it.

Views
Helpful
Replies