cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CallManager and NTP

ksowell
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way for the CallManager Application and/or the W2K operating system to synchronize with an NTP time server, such as the local WAN router? The CallManagers here are standalone servers, not clients of our AD domain.

5 Replies 5

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Kevin,

We just did the NTP sync on our CCM recently. We had some users who depended on the clock from their IP phone and when it would get a few minutes off from their PC we would always hear about it. Here is a link to a good document for NTP config.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_configuration_example09186a008009470f.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.......

gogasca
Level 10
Level 10

The other doc sometimes I haven’t seen it worked or too confusing. So I usually follow the steps below and seems to work very good.

1. Go to \Winnt\System32\drivers\etc

2. Open ntp.conf in Notepad

3. Modify the file/content in their to reflect the NTP Server IP address.

For e.g 172.18.106.15 is my NTP Server

server 172.18.106.15 # Set Local Clock to Authoritive Time Source

fudge 172.18.106.15 stratum 5 # Resets Stratum from default 3 to 5

driftfile C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\ntp.drift # path for drift file

4. Go and now stop the Network Time Protocol Service

5. If you want you can now change the time on the box to hour ahead or back, to test if NTP will work or not.

6. Open command prompt and go to \Program Files\Cisco\Xntp

7. Type the command "ntpdate x.x.x.x" - Where x.x.x.x is the NTP server IP address.

C:\Program Files\Cisco\Xntp>ntpdate 172.18.106.15

Looking for host 172.18.106.15 and service ntp

host found : vnt-ntp.cisco.com

29 Sep 14:57:51 ntpdate[924]: step time server 172.18.106.15 offset -10719.468824 sec

8. The NTP will update the clock/date, etc on the server and then should come back to the prompt again.

9. Go back and start the Network Time Protocol Service.

This worked exactly as you said. Will the CallManagers now keep in sync with the router ntp source automatically, or will I need to do the:

C:\Program Files\Cisco\Xntp>ntpdate periodically if the time drifts on them?

Did you come up with an answer?

Also do you need to modify the ntp.conf on the subscribers or just the pub?

Thx

Only need to modify the pub ntp.conf as the subscribers will pull the time from the pub.