Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

CallManager as a member server in W2K domain

Is this recommended? It would help us for managing purposes, backups and domain logins to track individual users changes.

I just put a test CM 3.32 spB in as a member server and many CM and other services came up "disabled". I have also seen that the local accounts that services run under get authentication errors.

Any problem with switching the services logon to "local system account"? They seem to work ok this way.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bronze

Re: CallManager as a member server in W2K domain

I don't think there is any problem with putting it in your domain, just keep in mind, you are going to have little issues like you are having now. Primarily because you are a member of a domain, the domain's security policy gets applied to the server, therefore if you have things tight there in regards to logon locally, or log on as a service, you may have to jump through a couple of extra hoops.

I'm not sure how it helps in managing purposes as the backup utility that comes with CM easily accepts different domain accounts. And CM doesn't use the domain users for anything anyway so I'm not sure what you gain there. (Yes, you can use your domain accounts if you use the active directory plugin, but even then, your server doesn't need to be a member server).

My two cents.

Rick

2 REPLIES
Bronze

I don't think there is any problem with putting it in your domain, just keep in mind, you are going to have little issues like you are having now. Primarily because you are a member of a domain, the domain's security policy gets applied to the server, therefore if you have things tight there in regards to logon locally, or log on as a service, you may have to jump through a couple of extra hoops.

I'm not sure how it helps in managing purposes as the backup utility that comes with CM easily accepts different domain accounts. And CM doesn't use the domain users for anything anyway so I'm not sure what you gain there. (Yes, you can use your domain accounts if you use the active directory plugin, but even then, your server doesn't need to be a member server).

My two cents.

Rick

Also something to add regarding Active Directory domains-

If you have Windows 2000 DHCP running on your CallManagers and they are standalone (not on the domain), your DHCP services will fail right after you ugrade to AD from NT 4.0 because the W2K DHCP server needs to be authorized on the AD domain to run. This is from personal experience, luckily adding the CCMs to the domain fixed it but just one of those things to ruin your morning :-)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content