cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Callmanager on Linux 2004

allan.wells
Level 3
Level 3

I have been told that CM is being released for Linux early next year.

can anyone validate this ?

Allan

8 Replies 8

j_rios
Level 1
Level 1

Hmmm...

While I generally support Open Source applications, and prefer *nix solutions to Windows-based solutions, I don't know that I'd be comfortable running enterprise-level or mission-critical phone systems on an open source PBX platform.

Why not, that's what Avaya have done, and Mitel. If these guys are happy running on open source then why not you or Cisco?

Cisco's idea for this is that it will be an application black box, in much the same way PIX firewalls are linux boxes but with a closed up front end, so will call manager. No more running apps on call manager servers that we all know Cisco don't want us to but we all do anyway. DHCP anyone? Web services? etc.etc.

Just because it's open source doesn't mean it's no good. And hey if it cuts down on the number of OS patches then I'm all for it.

Paul

davidlblair
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco is working on putting CCM on Linux in the future. There talk about this happening in 2004 or 2005.

azam_anwar
Level 2
Level 2

A guy in Cisco Development told me that they are looking at a 'flavour' of Linux amongst other OS choices. Nothing definite had been decided but they were aiming for end of 2004/beginning 2005 (this was as per 2 months ago).

Would it be in my best interest to start learning Linux based OS's? I haven't done a thing in Linux. What would you Pro's suggest?

Thank you

No.. As someone mentioned earlier, the idea is that it will be an appliance/black box. All you will see is the GUI web page and any tools that are used to access the box.

Yes Im sure their will be many less patches which is fantastic.Bring it on down.

Try upgrading/patching 150 CM clusters now !!!! not a pleasent thought is it.

Thats not to say their arent vulnerbilities with Open Source code.

An automated process is whats required !!

Inteligence built in to the box for automatic updates.

Put that in the must do list.

Allan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: