Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

CallManager Service Won't Automatically Start

Just upgrade from CCM 3.3(4)sr2 to 4.1(3)sr3a today. Upgrade went smoothly except for the fact the CallManager Service on the Publisher fails to start after restarting the server. I am able to successfully start the service from the CCM Servicabiliyt -> Control Center though.

Nothing the event logs other than the service manager posting the error of CallManager timingout and not starting.

OS was upgraded to 2000.4.2sr4 in the past week ahead of this upgrade.

I've done a half dozen major CallManager upgrades and have not encountered a problem like this before. Any insight you might have would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

8 REPLIES

Re: CallManager Service Won't Automatically Start

Look at bug id CSCsb88052 - Cisco CCM Service fails to start after latest OS upgrade on older model servers.

Good lead but be aware the bug conditions do not appreat to be completely accurate.

Bug details say it's applicable to < 3Ghz cpu AND < 2GB memory after appying the OS4.2 service releases. The CCM Publisher in my situation is an older 2.0Ghz MCS 7815 but it does have the pre-requisite 2GB memory. Also, the OS was upgraded to the affected revision a week ago but did not have a problem while still running CCM 3.3(4)sr2. The no auto stgart of CCM service problem did not manifest until after upgrding CCM to 4.1(3)sr2.

I have applied the registry work-around for the service control manager timeout but won't be able to test it until tonight.

Also make sure that Startup Type is set as automatic and not manual.

You may want to also check the initilization timers for various fields under Service parameters for call manager service. Make sure they are at least at the suggested value. I have seen a client in past where this problem occurred when they upgraded from 3.1 to 3.3(4) and it was because some of the initilization timers were set lower then the suggested value for the version they were on. I've rarely seen these fields changed from the suggested value but doesn't hurt looking to see what they are set at.

You may want to check the Windows 2000 Server services console and make sure that the service is setup for automatic start. I have seen this problem in the past when upgrading callmanager.

You go to start --> run --> services.msc and look for the service you want to start. Right click on properties and configure it.

I hope it helps.

Automatic start was the first thing I checked. The event viewer specifically called out the 45000 millisecond timeout. I will verify the initilization timer settings though.

Rebooted with the registery work-around to increase the Service Control timeout to 60 seconds. The CallManager sercie started without a problem.

Silver

You should give ebergquist the 'fixed my problem' check, then!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content