Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Callmanager URL's

From the callmanager administration window go to System > Enterprise Parameters. I cannot access any of these URL's unless I replace the callmanager name with the actual IP address. My windows knowledge immediately points me to DNS. But... I only have callmanager in a workgroup along with one 7960, and a PC plugged into a 3550 switch.. Name resolution should work without DNS because of NBT. I configured DNS on the callmanager box anyway to see. The PC with or without DNS resolves the callmanagers name just fine. But the phone can't do it. If I push any key on the phone that has a URL link it says "Host Not Found." Even in my "Network Connection" menu. It has "Callmanager 1 <callmanager name>" then "Callmanager 2 TFTP <callmanager ip address> active." No where on the phone can it link to callmanager by name with or without dns. What is the problem? Do I need dns? I am running callmanager 3.3(3)sr3.

• Other Collaboration Voice and Video Subjects
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Callmanager URL's

I would pose the question back at you, and ask why you would want to rely on higher layer services, such as DNS? If your DNS server goes down, can you deal with your phones not accessing the LDAP directory? IP phone services? I personally stay away from DNS at all times for these reasons alone. It is not needed. You can get away with host files for each server that contain MGCP gateways and all other IPT servers. Just my 2 cents!

Happy Holidays!

2 REPLIES

I would pose the question back at you, and ask why you would want to rely on higher layer services, such as DNS? If your DNS server goes down, can you deal with your phones not accessing the LDAP directory? IP phone services? I personally stay away from DNS at all times for these reasons alone. It is not needed. You can get away with host files for each server that contain MGCP gateways and all other IPT servers. Just my 2 cents!

Happy Holidays!

Cisco Employee

One other point that the previous response does not mention: the only way you can resolve a Windows computer's name to an IP address is if you are running a Windows OS, or if you have some kind of a Samba/CIFS client software loaded. A Cisco IP phone has neither. So it makes perfect sense that without DNS, a PC might be able to resolve the CCM server's name to an IP address while the phone would not.

That being said, I completely agree that the Enterprise Parameters URL entries should be changed to point to IP addresses rather than host names for this reason. However, it's obviously important to note that because of this, should the publisher's IP address change, you will have to change these values accordingly.

Views
Helpful
Replies