Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Calls From Outside Do Not Ring Phone, Go Directly To VoiceMail

I have a subscriber who says if they have Outlook open on their desktop, the phone will not ring but voicemail messages will appear in the inbox. According to the subscriber, the people calling are not being transferred in from someone else or through the directory handler, they are calling directly. Finally, if the subscriber closes Outlook, the phone will ring. This only happens to calls from outside lines.

Recently, we upgraded from Unity version 2.4(6) to 4.0(2). We have a Nortel Merdian I integrated with Unity and using Exchange 2000.

I have checked the transfer settings for the subscriber account and they appear to be correct. Finally, a test call that I made from an outside line went through to the phone (subscriber answered).

What is a good way to monitor a particular subscriber extension to determine how calls are arriving? I suspect some of the calls may be coming in while the subscriber is on the phone. However, I need convincing proof one way or the other.

Thanks!

Kimberly

3 REPLIES

Re: Calls From Outside Do Not Ring Phone, Go Directly To VoiceMa

Hi -

You can use Unity's Call Viewer Utility to view incoming calls. The Reason column will show Fwd (Ring no answer or Busy) to indicate the status of the phone. From there you can check the calling number, if your Nortel provides Caller id information to confirm the caller was an external call. The Ring No Answer status means the phone rang the specified number of rings and was then routed to voicemail. The Busy will indicate your subscriber was on the phone and the call was routed to voicemail. Here is a Cisco link for the utility

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/prod_troubleshooting_guide_chapter09186a0080153e46.html#1023437

Sincerely,

Ginger

Cisco Employee

Unfortunately, to track a call flow *before* the call hits Unity you'll need to look into the PBX. Unless callers are first being routed to Unity's auto-attendant, then Unity has no control over whether the call rings the phone or goes directly to voicemail.

Also, I suspect the Outlook open or closed question is a red herring. I don't see how your Nortel would be influence by the Outlook client.

Regards,

Eric

Hi,

I also think the Outlook open/closed state is probably a red herring. Actually, I suspect it goes something like this: subscriber is sitting at desk, answers a call. While on the phone another call comes in and is sent to voice mail. Meanwhile, subscriber hangs up and then the message appears in the inbox...AND the phone didn't ring! :)

Thanks for the replies. I called the subscriber from my home over the lunch hour and the phone rang. Tried it several times, subscriber picked up every time.

I am still curious about logging activity (inside Unity) about the calls to a particular extension. Is this possible? It would be useful to troubleshoot specific subscribers esp. when the behavior they see appears random.

Thanks again!

Kimberly

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content