cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can a 3640 router have an input and output service-policy?

jkeeffe
Level 2
Level 2

I have a 3640 router running 12.2(26) IOS with two FE ports, and I need to prioritize voice traffic going through it, as there are times when the ports are 100% utilized (when backups are pulling lots of traffic through the router).

Will this router, with 12.2(26)IOS, accept both an input and an output service policy on the FE interfaces?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You cannot assign LLQ or CBWFQ policy-map as an input policy-map on router interfaces.

What would be the point of prioritizing it on an input interface when the packets are already there?

Chris

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What would be the purpose of the inbound policy-map?

Chris

I'd put an inbound policy to prioritize the voice traffic when ever the inbound traffic to the interface congested the interface. This router's interface is connected to a switch that has two other routers that could potentially feed more then 100mbs to it.

Even though there have been no input queue drops, I just want to make sure for the future as more and more traffic gets directed to this interface from multiple sources.

You cannot assign LLQ or CBWFQ policy-map as an input policy-map on router interfaces.

What would be the point of prioritizing it on an input interface when the packets are already there?

Chris

You are correct - I've not been looking at this clearly and I appreciate you response.

a 3640 router is far too old and weak to be running back ups through it.

You should make a policy with action of "shape" to make sure the backups run around 10mbps max. this will allow sufficient backplane resources for the 3640 to still have enough interface capacity to not be running 100% cpu, etc.

Then run llq/cbwfq for voice and other streams...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: