cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can an IP phone configuration be "locked down"

cwainwright
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to prevent a user from accessing and altering the phone and network settings of a 7960 or 7920 phone ?

Thanx

8 Replies 8

allan.thomas
Level 8
Level 8

Although the user is able to access the network settings, they are by default unable to change any parameters.

In order to change any setting the phone has to be unlocked using a given key sequence.

Thanks Allan,

I seem to be able to access "and" change network settings ( i.e DHCP enable/disable, 802.11b config, etc) as well as variuos phone settings.

These are things I don't want the user to have access to.

Is there a parameter in the template or profile that restricts this ?

thanx again for any info

Yes, there is a pulldown menu under the phone configuration called "settings access" set this to disabled, and the settings button as well as ring volume will be disabled.

Dustin, thanks for the info. This works very well for the 7960 model phone. However, it had no effect on the 7920 phone.

Any thoughts ?

Hi,

Have you found a solution yet for the 7920 user-lock issue? I'm curious.

thanx in advance,

Simon

Not yet, I beieve the issue is related to the type of template that is applied the phone.

I do not have a template for a 7920 phone, so I'm using the 7960 template ... all the features work, but I cannot restrict access to the phone and network settings.

Any thoughts ?

If you go to settings, then Network configuration, you will see a lock in the upper right corner. If the lock is open, then users can change the settings. If it is closed, then you cannot change the settings. To change the lock status, get out of the menu, then press '**#' on the phone keypad. Go back into the menu and you will see that the status has changed. Users cannot change the settings unless '**#' is entered again, but they can change volume.

The "settings access" setting is not available on the 7920 device-type.

The ring settings are on the page, but say "Not Available on this device"

I haven't seen a way to lock the settings. Hopefully Cisco will put that setting in (and the "ring setting" setting.) I would like the shared lines not to ring or vibrate when called.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: