cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can Avaya do TAPS, IP Phone services, XML?

NAVIN PARWAL
Level 2
Level 2

Folks,

Does anyone have any experience with Avaya, trying to compair avaya with cisco in terms of features.

I heard that avaya can do video now?

Can avaya do Can Avaya do TAPS, IP Phone services, XML, extension mobility?

7 Replies 7

kleo
Level 3
Level 3

yes to all the above and video now integrated into their softphone appliction. It does not require a different appliction. all you need is a USB camera.

They also have a slick free SIP sofphone, which can operate in a peer-to-peer mode:

ftp://ftp.avaya.com/incoming/Up1cku9/tsoweb/sip_softphone/setup_sip_softphone_Build43.msi

In regard to features, well it all depends on what is important to u. comparing cisco features to avaya is like comparing apples and oranges. Overall avaya has many more than cisco, but what matters is what is important to your company. From a features perspective you can't go wrong with avaya they give you the Kitchen Sink and then some :)

Is this turning into the Avaya forum!? Geeze..

Ditto Gordon!

If Avaya is so hot-to-trot then how do you explain the link below?

http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/2005/prod_111605e.html?sid=BAC-NewsWire

Put that in your pipe and smoke it all you Avaya lovers. I am not one of those "Cisco and only Cisco" guys but I honestly feel that for and end-to-end solution Cisco just flat out does the network better than Avaya and once you packetize voice you are only talking network data anyway. For only being in the IP PBX market for a few years speaks volumes to what Cisco has been able to accomplish. I will be the first to admit they come up short on some feature but they are being added fast. What they do well they do better than anybody though. At the end of the day I want performance and reliability as opposed to bells and whistles.

hahaha you sound like the cisco marketing machine :)

that is now counting every router/ISR sold in the voice category just to bring up voice revenue numbers. Even though customer is not using that router for voice..Sounds like a shell game to me.

I don't consider hadling 250K BHCC per hour with over 1 Million customers on my avaya contact center as Bells and Whistles ?? but you might.

It one of the places that has direct impact on my customers, and high touch.

Again don't try to preach to me like cisco knows voice, i've been there done that...they don't know APPLICATIOns , escpecially for my company...oh well my 2 cents.

all the sizzle gone form cisco :

http://www.networkingpipeline.com/blog/archives/2005/11/has_cisco_lost.html

smoke this Travis:)

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/051117/nyth185.html?.v=21

personally i find all these stats pretty funny and both my cisco and avaya AMs sent me their market share links.....I always ponder if anyone makes a purchasing decision based this type of info....

Avaya has good stuff, and their PBXs are extremely easy to configure. However, they are REALLY expensive. In a recent RFP of ours, the Avaya response was well more than double the cost of Cisco's response. That sort of pricing indicates that Avaya is rather proud of their equipment. :)

The choice between VoIP vendors comes down to features and pricing. Find the vendor who offers what you need at a price you can afford. You must also take into account support availability, support costs, training, documentation, etc., but it starts with features. Sure, some companies like Avaya offer a gazillion features but most companies will make use of just a few of them. The number of available features is important, but not as important as whether or not they offer the features you need now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: