cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can CCM 3.1 publisher and subscriber be in different subnets/

ivan.chu
Level 1
Level 1

I have tried to install Call Manager subscriber in a different subnet from the publisher. The publisher is working properly. However on the subscriber, except for the call manager service, all the rest of the services cannot be started.

The round trip response is less than 20 msec.

Has anyone successfully done this before?

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

bryanj
Level 1
Level 1

Yeah i have setup a Publisher in Houston and a Subscriver in Dallas running over a T1. My install went well and it is up and running today.

mschlenger
Level 3
Level 3

I would look at a couple of things here:

1) Is your sub on a different vlan or in a different site all together?

If it is, see the CM 3.1 design guide for design consideration on clustering across the IP WAN.

2) Have you changed your CM sub/pub server name(s) from a name to an IP address then rebooted?

As a side note, I've seen documentation that supports putting CM's in different IP subnets as it's a great means from protecting yourself from a DoS attack.

-Mike

tim.medley
Level 2
Level 2

If you can ping successfully from either direction. Then your problem is probabally with the Subscriber itself. If the CCM Service starts but the other services do not, I would look at a possible SQL issue or a password issue. SQL and some of the Cisco CCM related services, use local service accounts and the SQL SA password to run. Of these password are out of sync, the services may not start.

Take a look at the event viewer logs, if you are having password related issues you should see this reported in the event viewer.

tm

Tim Medley, CCNP+Voice, CCDP, CWNA

Sr. Network Architect

VoIP Group

iReadyWorld