Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Can I connect Two Cisco ATA 186 without a gatekeeper?

People:

does anybody knows if it's possible to connect two cisco ATA without using a gateway or gatekeeper?? I have a couple of offices abroad and if this is possible it will save me a lot of money in communication costs!

Thanks a lot!

Luis Heredia

QLC

2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Can I connect Two Cisco ATA 186 without a gatekeeper?

You can connect one ATA to the other one. But you cannot have multiple ATA's pointing to each other. One ATA can only point to one destination.

Answer is you can make calls between two ATA"s without gatekeeper, but you cannot have one ATA make calls to two ATA's without changing the configuration.

Taimoor

Community Member

Re: Can I connect Two Cisco ATA 186 without a gatekeeper?

For just two ATAs, yes you can. Assuming you have the H323 firmware loaded (default) you simply insert the ip address of unit1 as the gateway entry on unit 2, and vice versa. Then from one ATA, just dial the UID (phone number) on the other unit.

For multiple units, you should setup a gatekeeper. Many of the Cisco IOS versions support gatekeeper functions and there is lots of shareware to serve this function (especially for linux).

I understand you can also dial using the IP address, but I've never actually tried this. For example dialing 192#168#101#1 should dial the unit at 192.168.101.1

You mention this going over abroad. You might need to change which codec you're using to minimize bandwidth or maximize reliability.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content