cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I have 2 calls from remote site over 64K channel?

marcel.balan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can any one tell me if i can have 2 simultaneous calls over an 64K channel if on remote site they originate from phones connected to an ATA-186 adapter (configured to use G.723 codec( ?

I have over 10 remote offices, with the analog phones connected eiter to FXS ports or to ATA-186 adapters.

the ata registers to a H.323 Gatekeeper.

thanks for help,

Marcel

5 Replies 5

Chester Rieman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Marcel,

You dont say if you are using g.723(5.3) or g.723(6.3) but from the bandwith calculator.(http://tools.cisco.com/Support/VBC/do/CodecCalc1.do)

I ran through it and see that it will be about 10kbps per call depending upon payload size and encapsulation, use the calculator for a more exact answer for your situation.

the bw calculator gave me about 25kbps for 2 calls, using G.723 (6.3) with my parameters.

the question is: how will the GK know how much of bandwidth is using each call from the ATA? Based on what? (I have a freeware GK, H.323 compliant.)

how will IOS GK deal with it?

BR,

MArcel

This URL has some good info on how the GK does it's BW calculations and how it all works:

http://cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk701/technologies_white_paper09186a00800c5f67.shtml

Hope this helps....

k_petkov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Marcel,

I am not familiar with Codec Calculator. Would you tell me what is your initial parametars about your link that you have set up ?

Regards

Kamen

essentially, the question is very simple. have somebody done this:

place more than 1 call simultaneously, over a 64K channel, from phones connected to ATA, while ATA is registered to a Gatekeeper. (theoretically, and practically, it should work if I use G.723 codec)

I did not succeeded.

It worked (with G.723 codec) between 2 sites with ATAs, without GK.

When I start the GK (and the ATAs r registering to) it doesn't work - the first call is considered by GK as consuming the whole 64K (this parameter is indicated in the ARQ - BandWidth: 640 (0x280) - of the ATA). So no other calls are permitted. !!!!

have the debug and ATA config if needed.

Marcel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: