Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Can i keep Database server and Mail erver on a single T1?

Hello Everyone,

I have a questioned for you.Right now i have two seprate T1.one is for Database server and the other is for Mail server and IIS server.I am thinking to get one higher MBPS T1 and transfer these mail and IIS server to Database server.

I would like to know if someone has any such experience that is this a good idea to keep all servers in a single T1 .

Because i am thinking that if mail request increases it will consumes more bandwidth and the available bandwidth for SQL server will decreases.

plz have yr suggesion to know.

thanks in advance.

Bharat

2 REPLIES

Re: Can i keep Database server and Mail erver on a single T1?

Bharat,

The answer will depend entirely on your current usage. Will a single T1 accomodate the combined traffic. If so, I would say go for it. You will reduce your cost and the infrastructure you have to manage. As traffic increases, you can add bandwidth and/or use QoS mechanisms to ensure that mail traffic does not consume all of the bandwidth and choke out the SQL connections.

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

Blue

Re: Can i keep Database server and Mail erver on a single T1?

the fact that you mentioned '...thinking to get one higher MBPS T1...' tell's me that you may not be utilizing a full 1.544Mbps from your current T1.

do you know how much bandwidth the current T1 provides? the full 1.544Mbps or is it a fractional T1?

(are these frame relay? if so, what are your port speeds and CIRs)

if it is fractional, then perhaps a full T1 can handle your email and DB traffic.

how many sql transactions and how big?

how many email users and how big of attachments are allowed?

provide a bit more info and we should be able to point you in the right direction.

(also, use your 'show interfaces' command on your routers to view the WAN links involved. check the input/output queues for use/max/drops statistics. also verify the traffic throughput via the 5 sec/5 min traffic flow through the interface(s))

if the queues are used alot and/or dropping packets and if the traffic flow is too heavy, then yes, an upgrade in WAN link speed would be recommended.

Views
Helpful
Replies