cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can SIP&H323 exist the same Gateway and terminate calls of both standars

felix-cortes
Level 1
Level 1

We actually have an H323 network but require to terminate some users using SIP. Can the users calls (of both H3223 &SIP) be terminated in the same gateway ??? that is, can the gatekeeper and the SIP Proxy server route calls on both SIP & H323 to the same gateway????

Is the SIP Proxy server required for implementing SIP in a network or there is another option like a SIP feature on the IOS in any Cisco equipment to work as a SIP server, instead of using the SIP Proxy server??

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

3 Replies 3

yraps
Level 1
Level 1

First for you first section of your question the answer is simple yes. Any media gateway from Cisco (with suitable IOS) can support both H.323 and SIPv2 concurrent.

In order to activate the sip you need to insert the 'sip-ua' under the conf t.

As for the second part of the q2uestion, it is all depend on your network structure, if you have one gateway then you do not need proxy, your originator will have to point the calls to the SIP/H.323 GW. But if you have multiple the use of proxy which will route the calls to the appropriate GW plus take care of redundancy between the gateways is becoming vital.

We are looking in to the same setup but with MGCP instead. In theory it seems to work. I'm assuming the only requirement is to allocate different ports for different dial peers. Ex: On a PRI SIP would control the first 10 ports and H323 will control the rest 13. Correct?

As for static POTS ports allocatio0n per VoIP protocol I have never tried that.

I have been working with dynamically ports allocation base on the VoIP session protocol the call has.

It works on the first come first serve base with the characterize session protocol.

You can have any where from all the PRI carries H.323 to a whole PRI carrier SIP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: