Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Can't use SQL Authentication for CallMgr 4.0x or 4.1x Database

For new installations of CallMgr 4.0 or 4.1 (not upgrades from CallMgr 3.3x) you can no longer use SQL authentication to access the SQL database.

In order to make administration of Cisco CallManager 4.0 easier, authentication has changed from 'SQL Server and Windows' to a 'Windows Only' authentication. Cisco addresses this in Document ID: 48742 "User Unable to Log into SQL Query Analyzer After Upgrading from Cisco CallManager 3.x to 4.x"

Modifying the authentication is easy enough from Enterprise Manager, but I'm concerned that something might break under the covers. Has anyone changed the authentication on a CallMgr 4.0x or 4.1x Publisher?

3 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Can't use SQL Authentication for CallMgr 4.0x or 4.1x Databa

I know a number of instances where the authentication method was changed from Windows authentication to SQL Server (mixed) authentication with no issues. That's no guarantee, but in my experience the change to Windows authentication is done for security reasons.

Since you're changing from windows-only to mixed-mode (which still includes Windows authentication), the risks should be low. That said, it is still preferable to use windows-only authentication when possible, as it is more secure.

If you install Extended Services on the publisher (i.e. for TAPS or AA) the installer will set it to mixed mode anyway.

This tells me that it is supported...

In my own personal experience (I've written a huntgroup login/logout application that needs l/p access to the DB to remove the last line from a huntgroup as Cisco's ActiveX can't remove the last user), I'd say mixed mode authentication is no problem. We have two inhouse CCMs that are configured this way and I have yet to experience any problems. After all.. this is really a SQL Server thing, not a callmanager thing. CCM will obviously continue to using windows authentication, but having the other mode available has no influence.

Views
Helpful
Replies