Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Can you turn off the message indicator on second shared line?

I have CM 3.3.3. Many people who have a shared line will see the envelope (indicating a message on one of the shared lines) and hit the message button. They will try to log in and end up locking someone else out of their mail box, usually a boss. Can I turn this off on the secondary line? I tried none but it still appeared. What setting, of the other six, would it be?

2 REPLIES

Re: Can you turn off the message indicator on second shared line

I'm experiencing the same problem and have not found any type of work around. Very annoying problem. Also...all missed, received, placed calls in the call records show all line appearances and not just the primary line. CCM3.4???

Gold

Re: Can you turn off the message indicator on second shared line

Under 3.3(3) you can configure Message Waiting Lamp Policy on a line-by-line basis. Combinations are:

* Use System Policy (which is Light and Prompt on Line 1, Prompt Only on all other lines, by default)

* Light and prompt (Red light on handset, plus envelope icon on LCD display)

* Prompt Only (envelope icon on LCD display only)

* Light Only (Red light on handset only)

* None (no MWI notification at all)

These parameters can be unique to a particular phone's line configuration; or they can be propagated to other phones if it's a shared line/directory number. On a shared line, the check boxes appear to the right of the drop-down selection boxes. When done checking off the desired boxes, click the Propagate button below. Updates are posted to the phone almost real-time.

You can also type in descriptive text in front of the line number's extension, to help identify the purpose of the line (if that's useful). You can propagate this or not too, as needed.

If you turn off display of the message envelope icon and don't light the red light on the handset, it shouldn't attract attention. This should solve most if not all of these problems. But there's nothing I've seen that will prevent a user from trying to listen to voice messages by pressing the line button followed by the Messages button, even if there's no indication of messages waiting. So you could still end up with the occasional account lockout; but the number of these should go way down.

Hope this helps.

Views
Helpful
Replies