Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Cannot accept outside calls without VoiceMail set for use ???

We recently ran out of Voicemail licenses, so we currently have 5 users without. We then discovered without users having Voicemail setup on their phones, they cannot accept calls from OUTSIDE the network. For example... I can call x400 from my phone successfully, but when I dial our company's main # and I am prompted for an extension, x400 is not recognized. I am assuming there is a way to configure this to do otherwise. Anybody know of this problem? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: Cannot accept outside calls without VoiceMail set for use ??

Sorry, I should have confirmed the version of Unity you have. I believe this option was introduced in Unity 4.0(4).

Unity is designed to not transfer calls to extensions that it does not know about. I don't know the history of why this was done but I believe it is simply to keep Unity from transferring calls to non-existent extensions in the case of the caller mistyping the extension.

Another option is to create a CallHandler for the users you are not entering into Unity yet. Make sure to configure the CallHander with the proper extension.

Kevin

7 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

If the voicemail is Cisco Unity, you can create an Internet Subscriber for each of these 5 users. Configure the Extension and transfer settings for each Internet Subscriber to match the DN of the associated phone.

-Eric

Sorry, I didnt really explain my problem to well. We have more licenses on the way, so the problem isnt that users have no voicemail. The problem lies with people calling our office, and the auto-attendant not being able to recognize a users extention beacause they are not a unity subsciber (no voicemail). So my question is; Do users with phone extentions need a voicemail subscirbtion in Unity for them to recieve outside calls?

Cisco Employee

Right, adding them as Internet Subscribers in Unity will not require licenses. It will allow Unity to recongnize the extensions and perform transfers for them. Once you get your license upgrade you can delete the Internet Subscribers and add these guys back in as full blown Unity Subscribers.

Ok, Thanks. We'll have to give this a try. I just find it strange how they would need a voicemail subscibtion just to receive inbound calls. Thanks again for your time and help.

Cisco Employee

Actually the problem is not that the user doesn't have a voicemailbox but that Unity does not transfer calls to a non-subscriber. You can use the "Caller System Transfer" option to allow callers to dial both unity subscribers and non-subscribers. The "Caller System Transfer" option is discussed on this page:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a008022d1ca.html

Kevin

Unfortunitly, that isnt an option for me. My call handler setting in unity, under Caller Input does not have the option 'Caller System Transfer'. Is this a known issue for non-VMsubscribers? Is it typical with having to configure unity to allow non-subscribers through?

Cisco Employee

Sorry, I should have confirmed the version of Unity you have. I believe this option was introduced in Unity 4.0(4).

Unity is designed to not transfer calls to extensions that it does not know about. I don't know the history of why this was done but I believe it is simply to keep Unity from transferring calls to non-existent extensions in the case of the caller mistyping the extension.

Another option is to create a CallHandler for the users you are not entering into Unity yet. Make sure to configure the CallHander with the proper extension.

Kevin

Views
Helpful
Replies