cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot add to distribution list

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

We have 4 Exchange 2000 data stores and 1 Unity 3.0.3 server. When we try to create a new subscriber, we get a message that "user could not be added to distribution list". The user does get created but is not added to the distribution list. We can go in manualy and add the user to the distribution list. The TAC # for this case is C310060.<br><br>

6 Replies 6

Not applicable

When you say you can add them manually do you mean by doing this through the Unity SA on the distribution lists page you can add them but not when creating the subscriber? Or do you mean by going to ADUC to add them?

If it's the later, are these DLs that Unity created (i.e. the All Subscribers distribtuion list created by setup) or DLs in other containers? Any chance these DLs live in containers where the Unity service account was not given write permissions?

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

I can add them manually through both the Unity SA on the distribution lists page and through the ADUC.

These are DLs that Unity created. I'm fairly certain that the Unity service account has write permissions since we can add them manually. The only time the problem occurs is during the initial creation of the subscriber.

I also found that when I run the Dbwalker utility without any of the boxes checked, I get the following error:

*** Starting subscriber walk ***
Alias=ESubscriber
Display Name=Example Subscriber - BYUP1U5
(error) Primary Call Handler is not valid!
This subscriber may be 'stranded' by an improper uninstall of a previous Unity system or it may be 'sharing' a primary call handler with one or more other subscribers.
Removing subscriber data from this mail user record.
Alias=EAdministrator

If I follow the instruction and run Dbwalker with the check box specified in the error message, it does not remove the ESubscriber account in the Unity SA like it is supposed to.

Not applicable

We're currently investigating the situation. At this time, it does not appear to be a configuration issue. From other reports that we have recieved, SA imports are successful in adding the subscriber to the distribution list. If that is correct, then what we are looking at is probably a timing issue in that we are trying to add the sub to the dist list to early. I've got an idea for a workaround code change and will provide an update in a bit.

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

Not applicable

you're running an older version of dbWalker... snag the latest off AnswerMonkey and it wont even offer you the option of removing stranded subscribers. In Unity 3.x I can't do this any longer like I used to with 2.x since call handler information is not replicated around the directory and I can't be sure the subscriber in question is really stranded or not.

As Steve mentions they're working on a fix but in the meantime you can remove the DLs from the subscriber templates so when you create users you wont get an error and then manually add them to the DLs you want post create.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

I tried the new version of dbWalker and get the same error. Are you saying that the error can be ignored.

Not applicable

no, the error shouldn't be ignored... I was saying the option to remove stranded subscribers in 3.x is disabled in the new one. You have to go clean this guy off yourself. With Ex55 you can do this in raw mode by waxing custom properties 12 and 14, for Ex2K you can use "Bunny Killer" off the AnswerMonkey 3.x tools pages.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com