Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Catalyst 2950 vs. 3560 for VoIP

Other than not being capable of PoE, is the Catalyst 2950 missing anything that a PoE-capable 3560 can provide with regard to Cisco IP telephony? We're considering a Cisco IPT deployment and most of our sites already have 2950 switches. I believe that the 2950 is capable of the QoS necessary for high-quality VoIP, it just can't supply the power. I'm considering using PowerDsine power injectors and leaving the 2950s in place.

[At brand new sites, we'd probably just buy a PoE switch right from the beginning.]

Any thoughts? Does the 3560 have some functionality that we would wish we had if we kept the 2950s?

Thanks,

John

3 REPLIES

Re: Catalyst 2950 vs. 3560 for VoIP

Hi John,

Layer 3 routing is not there with the 2950 model. Especially if you configure dual vlans for data / voice and want to do intervlan routing , you can have it on the 3560 itself. It all depends on your network design.

brgds

renzil

In our design, we would have 2800-series routers handling routing and acting as MGCP gateways, so we just need L2 switches with QoS, basically.

Other than providing for a happier Christmas for my Cisco account rep, is there really any reason to upgrade to a PoE 3560 instead of just getting a PowerDsine injector?

Thanks!

John

Super Bronze

You can do pretty much anything you need to do on a 2950 if all you need is layer 2... The various configs are detailed in the QOS SRND and as you can see you can go to some detail (probably more than you intend)...

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/solution/esm/qossrnd.pdf

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content