Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

CCM 3.3 upgrade with new HD

How can I perform a Call Manager upgrade using two new hard disks? Reading the upgrade documentation, it states that one must use the disks that are there. I have a customer who has a 7930 with 2 x 9.1 GB disks and he wants to upgrade those to 2 x 18.2 GB disks. I can certainly perform the backup properly and get the Call Manager information off-box onto a network drive, but once that occurs, what are the ramifications of using two new disks? I'd think that, as long as the IP stack and naming conventions are exactly the same, the restore should go fine. The issue, of course, is that the Same Server Migration takes information from the IP stack of the existing HD's to rebuild the new server, and with new HD's that information will not be there.

Is it possible to use this backed-up data (from the Backup program) on a new server install to rebuild it to the point where it was?

5 REPLIES

Re: CCM 3.3 upgrade with new HD

Yes, you have it figured out. Basically follow the CCM 3.3 upgrade documentation. I did this a few weeks ago.

Install the new CCM Backup 3.5 utility and backup your current CCM. Store the backup in a safe place, network volume or cd-rom. Then shutdown and pull your old 9.1gb drives and put them in a safe place.

Now put in the Cisco CCM OS CD-1 in your server and boot the server. Follow the onscrren directions and install the OS. At some point during the OS install there will be a screen that asks if you are restoring from a backup, say yes, the installer will also ask you where the CCM Backup file is, point to the cd-rom or network drive where you stored the backup.

hope this helps.

Tim

Tim Medley, CCNP+Voice, CCDP, CWNA

Sr. Network Architect

VoIP Group

iReadyWorld

I'm in a similar situation...however, when time comes to install the CM3.3 portion, I never get prompted for the backup file. So instead, the installation finishes, and I have a brand new, CM3.3 server.

When I try to do a restore of the data, however, it fails and all the CM services fail to start up.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thx!

two things that I can think of are

1. did you make you backup with the new version of the backup program.

2. did you change the name of the server durring the install so the name is different then the backup.

hope this helps.

scott

Here's what I finally did that worked great, although it took a bit of time ... first I had the client perform a network backup - they used UltraBac - before moving forward ... then I used Norton Ghost to make a network Ghost image on the server (of course you'll need a multicast server and the program, but for the price and effort it is worth it) ... updated the 7830 server via Compaq server CD for BIOS upgrades, RAID build, etc ... the Ghost idea ended up working out the best since during the Ghost restore it noticed the new size of the new, larger hard disks and resized the partition appropriately, which is just what I wanted ... then, since I had extra disks of this new size, I pulled one and put another in, performing essentially the process you would normally use

So, in review:

- Ghost the 3.1 server image

- Put in new hard disks and build the RAID

- If a 7830, use the latest Compaq CD to upgrade the BIOS, and do not forget to download and use the 7830-bootfix.exe file from CCO CCM3.3.2 OS download page

- Burn the Ghost image to the new disks

- Perform a normal upgrade on the new disks!

GL

Hi,

Did you check the Same Server Recovery, when booting from Hardware Detection CD ?

If you do so, the name/ipaddress etc. are populated in the fiels,

and the Restore Utility is started automatically!

This way, all data is converted the correct way while installing Callmanager..

regards

Sascha

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content